Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a round sore, thats not sore, on my leg for the last

I have a round sore, thats not sore, on my leg for the last few years. It is 1/2 inch in circumferance with a core that is 1/4 inch. I generally just crusts over with dead skin which comes off when I shower or scratch it. Underneath is a purple circle covered by clear(?) skin. If it breaks it bleeds like crazy so I do try not to touch it. There is also an odd pattern of discoloured darker skin 3/4 inch X 1/4 inch surrounding the area. I finally brought it to the attention of my doctor who recommended I see a dermatologist as she did not like the look of it. It never bothered me so I never thought to have it looked at. Do I need a referral for a dermatologist? Thank you.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the photograph. Its hard to be sure just by looking at it but what you have may be a type of angiokeratoma. These are a group of harmless skin conditions and are best diagnosed by a skin biopsy. I think it would be worthwhile to see a dermatologist and ask for this just to be 100% safe and rule out more sinister conditions like Bowen's disease and atypical melanoma.

Hope this information is useful!