dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

What would cause a red blotchy rash on just the throat area

What would cause a red blotchy rash on just the throat area of my neck? For the past year and a half it has grown from one small (non-raised) spot about the size of a dime; and now it is several blotches pea size to nickel size. They do not typically itch.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Would you be able to send a photograph? Is there pigment intermixed or is it all red?

JACUSTOMER-ftblxao0- :

I don't know how to send a pic on here...it is all red- but not a very dark red.

dermdoc19 :

You would click on the tree icon and upload....you can also ask the site monitor for help.

JACUSTOMER-ftblxao0- :

I tried uploading it- and it says the file is too large. The best way I can describe it- is it looks like someone pinched me in a few different spots on the neck. I am just concerned because it doesn't come and go, it just slowly gets larger.

dermdoc19 :

You can try sending it to my e mail [email protected]

dermdoc19 :

One thing that comes to mind is Poikiloderma of Civatte. Would you please google this and let me know if that fits.

JACUSTOMER-ftblxao0- :

The pictures I saw don't seem to fit my rash. It doesn't really cover one large area- just small circles of rash. And it seems to be a sun exposure thing- I don't spend much time in the sun- very fair skin.

JACUSTOMER-ftblxao0- :

I sent a picture to the email you provided, thank you.

dermdoc19 :

Now that I have seen the pictures, that diagnosis is totally scratched off my list. This looks to be a yeast eruption called Tinea Versicolor. ( NOT the yeast of Candida). This would be one that I would really like to scrape and perform a KOH prep on to be absolutely sure since it is not the most typical for this. However, the appearance of Tinea Versicolor can vary. I would recommend Clotrimazole: to apply this three times a day. I would also use ZNP soap on it and Head and Shoulders shampoo in the blue bottle. Leave the Head and Shoulders on it for about 10 minutes and do this daily for a week. It will take a bit of a while for the rash to go away but it should. Happy to answer further questions.

JACUSTOMER-ftblxao0- :

Thank you- I will definately use your suggestion, and I hope it works.