dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I just recently got a tattoo, and Im now breaking out in a

I just recently got a tattoo, and I'm now breaking out in a rash. The tattoo parlor said it was most likely ingrown hairs around the area, but the area isn't somewhere I would shave, they are spreading, they itch, and they don't look like ingrown hairs...they look like hives. The area is from my lower spine to my hip, and the rash is 14-18 red spots (some around the size of a quarter) around where the tattoo is. This morning when I woke up, I found 6 or 7 spots on my thigh--all around the size of a nickle. I'm concerened, since needles were involved, this is more than just a rash. Any help or advise would be appreciated. I couldn't get an appointment with the doctor any earlier than Wednesday.

dermdoc19 :

Would you be able to send a photograph of the rash? Do you have the rash where the tattoo was placed? What colors were involved in making the tattoo? I am assuming this was a professionally applied tattoo?

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

I can get a picture up in the next few minutes. The tattoo is only black. It was a professionally done tattoo, and I watched the tattoo artist clean equipment and surfaces, but now I'm not so sure!

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

I apologize that it is not better quality.

dermdoc19 :

Usually black is not much of an allergic problem. Is it possible to shoot a close up of the skin lesions themselves?

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

I will get the best picture I can and sent it in just a couple of minutes

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

Here is a better image of them.

dermdoc19 :

Thank you.

dermdoc19 :

There looks like there is some redness around the tattoos or am I mistaken? Are there any pus pimples?

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

yeah, the tattoo has been red since I got it. Not really swollen or anything, just read around the area. No pus pimples or anything like that. No scabbing anywhere outside of the tattooed area. I can't see any area that looks like they would be bites or pimples or anywhere that could excrete any fluid or anything. They are pretty smooth. Very itchy, and spreading by the day. If I were to equate them to anything, they are like a bunch of mosquito bites without the little indent where the mosquito actually bit you

dermdoc19 :

I would recommend calling the tattoo artist and asking what chemical he/she ( not many she's in that business huh) used. Most of the problems we see are due to mercury (red), cadmium ( yellow) chrome (green) and cobalt ( blue).

dermdoc19 :

Occasionally, tattooing can give an erythematous (red) and pruritic ( itchy) eruption which subsides spontaneously in a few days.A strong steroid such as Clobetesol will help. Steroids into the spots will also help.

dermdoc19 :

I must admit also that when I looked at the photographs, they did look like insect bites, so I do question the cleanliness of the place.

dermdoc19 :

Treatment would be the same as far as a strong topical steroid.

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

can I get Clobetesol over the counter?

dermdoc19 :

Also, I cannot see this well, but it might be a folliculitis in which case Tetracycline 500 mg. twice a day would be my drug of choice.

dermdoc19 :

No Clobetesol is prescription. About the strongest you can get would be Maximum Strength Cortaid ointment and put hypoallergenic surgical tape over it at night.

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

ok. Would it be safe to use over the counter products until i can get into a doctor who can look at the rash up close?

dermdoc19 :

Yes, you can also use Prax Lotion for the itching.

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

okay. thanks for your help! any more advise? Am I doing anything wrong that could be making it worse?

dermdoc19 :

If any of these bumps gets worse, spreads becomes tender, streaks, make sure you see a physician right away.

JACUSTOMER-q5zdqve2- :

okay. thank you for your help!

dermdoc19 :

You're welcome. Let me know what happens and how you are doing. Thanks.