Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a red blotchy skin rash primarily on my stomach, chest,

I have a red blotchy skin rash primarily on my stomach, chest, and handles. It is fairly itchy all though not severe itching. Symptoms have persisted maybe a little longer than 24 hours.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of this rash?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here is a picture, it is getting a little better.graphic
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. Are any of the red spots raised (like after a mosquito bite)?

Do you have any fever?

Any history of drug or food allergies?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They don't appear to be raised, I do not have a fever and no known food or drug allegies. I did have some hominy yesterday which I can't remember having for years.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your symptoms are suggestive of acute urticaria. This is usually caused by either intake of a new prescription drug like penicillin or an OTC drug like aspirin, systemic infection (either bacterial or viral), food additives or seafood or intestinal worms. The last is usually only of significance in children. Hominy has been listed as being able to cause it.

Most episodes of acute urticaria are self limited, usually within 1-6 weeks of onset of symptoms. So for now I would recommend taking Tab Claritin (otc) 10 mg twice a day for 2 weeks + calamine lotion over the red patches when they occur and seeing whether the condition recurs on stopping the medicine after 2 weeks. If it does then you will need to see a doctor in person.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if any clarification is required. Regards!