dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

If youve had genital warts, but havent had a breakout in

If you've had genital warts, but haven't had a breakout in in 7 years, can it be passed on to a sexual partner in the form of warts all over their body? Can HPV be tested for without physical symptoms (blood work)?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

If ;you had genital warts initial blood work would be positive. You can have blood work done and repeated in 6 weeks to see whether there is a fall in levels. That would tell you that you had an outbreak.

dermdoc19 :

A culture would be tell you whether you had genital warts right now. It would be highly unlikely to infect as partner and have it break out all over the body.

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

OK, I didn't know that blood tests could show hpv results.

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

If a partner of mine has broken out with warts all over his body, how would I be able to know if I have it?

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

hello

dermdoc19 :

Have to see a patient. Will respond later. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

I don't want to accept this charge. You've not adequately answered my question.

dermdoc19 :

Agree with you. Still seeing patients. To adequately answer your question I will need time to give a thorough, well thought out answer.

dermdoc19 :

The basic answer is that HPV ( genital HPV) would not spreads throughout the body but localizes in the genital area. There are occasional reports of developing them on the hands.

dermdoc19 :

There are over 130 sub-types of HPV with about 25 of them occurring in the genital and oral regions.

dermdoc19 :

Some of the confusion arises because subclinical infections are much more common than frank warts. What this means practically is that one may think they are clear of warts but they are still lurking below the skin surface. Some physicians use acetic acid 5% to locate these subclinical warts. The involved areas turn white. Unfortunately, irritated but normal tissue will also turn white so this ancient technique has somewhat fallen out of favor.

dermdoc19 :

Genital warts can be typed. What is done is a swab is taken of the wart and sent off to the lab. Types HPV 16, 18. and 31 are high grade, meaning they can produce aggressive cancers.

dermdoc19 :

As far as blood tests: blood tests are not a practical part of HPV diagnosis or treatment. Some strains, on mucosal surfaces, can be picked up in the blood, and even measured in the way I mentioned, but this is primarily a research tool. Virtually all the typing and treatment decision are done via culture as I discussed.

dermdoc19 :

Most of the work as far as detecting antibodies in the blood was done in regards XXXXX XXXXX testing for the vaccines. I could refer you to some articles if you are highly interested.

dermdoc19 :

I will be happy to answer further questions.

dermdoc19 :

Physicians who treat genital warts make the vast majority of judgments by clinical appearance. If there is a question, we will biopsy a lesion to determine whether the genital wart might be something else. It is unusual for us to even do culture the lesions, never mind blood work.

dermdoc19 :

Also, regarding your questions: "warts all over the body" certainly could be something else than warts. Warts tend to localize in the area that it prefers. Genital warts like the moist, thiner skinned area. Common warts the back of the hands and the areas around the nails; flat warts the legs, back of the hands and face and plantar warts obviously the plantar surface of the feet. It would be unusual for warts to break out "all over the body". I would be especially unusual for genital warts to do this.

dermdoc19 :

One other thing about genital warts. About half of the cases, when sub-typed, are not true genital warts, but common warts that have landed in the genital area.

dermdoc19 :

If you have not had an outbreak in 7 years, it would be most likely that your warts are gone.

dermdoc19 :

I would be happy to answer more questions, until you are satisfied with the answer. You only are charged if you hit the ACCEPT button and only do that if you a content with my answers. If there is something I cannot answer I would be happy ask a friend who is a world expert in this area.

dermdoc19 :

Again, happy to answer further questions

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

Thank you. I appreciate your thorough answer to my questions. I'd like to ask one more thing if you don't mind. What could an outbreak of small bumps all over the body actually be if it isn't warts? Is it contagious?

dermdoc19 :

You 're welcome. Would you be able to photograph it? A few things come to mind: seborrheic keratoses ( you are young for that, but it can), Molluscum Contagiousum; Flat warts; Generalized lichen planus, Generalized granuloma annulare, . Happy to view it. Click on the tree icon and upload.

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

it's actually my ex-partner. I haven't seen it myself... he lives out of state. He's been blaming me for giving him this disease but part of me thinks he's lying. I want to give him some guidance, but more than anything, I'm trying to verify my own health, as I am trying to move on from this abusive relationship.

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

Might be too much info, but it has been haunting me for months now. I figured this was the best way to learn more.

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

so I guess I should just sent him this info and be done? He can figure it out himself based on your thoughts and recommendations.

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

yes?

dermdoc19 :

No that wasn't too much information.

dermdoc19 :

I would say he can use the information. In sum, he would not be breaking out to something you had seven years ago, especially if you do not have activity. Also, blood work could help, if you detect antibodies, but that is really more of a research tool. I checked in the speciality lab we use, and they do not do blood tests for it....only various probes for typing and as I told you we rarely use those.

dermdoc19 :

I think you would be negative at this point. I also strongly doubt you transmitted anything. Too much time and it sounds like he has something very much different than warts. You can have your Ob-Gyn check next visit, but if all your PAP smears have been Neg. unlikely.

dermdoc19 :

Again, happy to answer further questions.

JACUSTOMER-p9obmt5u- :

thank you for your time!