Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

the front of my shin will not stop itching. have tried various

the front of my shin will not stop itching. have tried various lotions but no help.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

Is there any rash?

Since when do you have this itching?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no rash. have had this itching on and off for about 4+ weeks
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
Ok, was there any irritation or rash on the shins before the itching started?

Is the skin of the shins very dry?

Are you on any prescription medicines? If so which and for what medical condition?

Is the itching worse at night or in the evenings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
skin is not dry, but lack of hair in region of itching. no meds. worse at night, but still bothersome in evenings also
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is typical of a condition known as Neurodermatitis.

Neurodermatitis is a condition where the nerves in any area of the body become hypersensitive and fire under normal conditions to produce a sensation of itching. The primary problem is itching and any skin rash, redness or excoriation is secondary to the scratching. The skin may look absolutely normal. The sites can be very localized as in your case where symptoms are limited to the shins.

This leads to an 'itch scratch cycle'. As in the more one scratches the more the area itches and so on. The first step in treatment is to break this cycle by giving relief from itching and instructing the patient to avoid scratching as much as possible.

Here is what will help:

1. Clobetasol propionate cream + Mupirocin cream: Mix and apply over the affected areas twice a day for 14 days then switch to Fluticasone propionate cream once at night for 2-4 weeks. All of these will require a prescription. Nothing over the counter will help much, the only product with some benefit is 1% Cortizone cream.

2. Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 14 days, then once a day for 6-8 weeks. Initially the dose can be increased to 2 tablets taken twice a day if there is insufficient relief in itching.

3. Sarna sensitive lotion can be used 2-3 times a day to give further relief from itching. This can be continued even when the above creams have been stopped.

4. Avoid scratching the affected areas as much as possible. This is most important. Whenever it is not bearable soak a towel in ice cold water and keep it on the affected areas or apply the Sarna sensitive lotion.

Lastly keep the affected area as well moisturized as possible with a moisturizer of your choice.

NOTE: 1% Cortizone cream, Claritin and Sarna lotion can be bought without a prescription.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)