Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Help! I have severe itching and redness (welts) on my neck

Help!
I have severe itching and redness (welts) on my neck and left eye lid, for a couple of weeks now. It almost went away at one time but it is back and now my head also itches.
I have used a hydrosortisone cream which helps some but does not completely clear it. I just want to get throught the holidays until i can getinto a doctor. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank You, Pat (toledo, Ohio
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Is there any rash? If so can you take a photograph?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Cannot send pic. light red rash, neck looks like fingernails were scrapped across neck.

Eyelid looks vey red. almost like a burn.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Do you have any flaking or scaling in the area?

Any dandruff?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
flaking on eyelid. have a couple of small sores on scalp...
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is consistent with a diagnosis of 'Seborrheic Dermatitis'. This is a condition where the body loses tolerance for a yeast called Malassezia (which is present normally on all our skins) and starts attacking it leading to redness and scaling. Itching is variable but can be severe.

The highest concentrations of the yeast responsible are present in the scalp and face (especially the sides of and below the nose, central part of the face including eyebrows, eyelids and behind the ears) so these are the sites most frequently affected. They may be involved singly or in combination. Other parts of the body may be involved as well - as in your symptoms are predominantly on the neck.

Here is what will help:

1. 1% Cortizone cream + 2% Miconazole cream: Mix and apply twice a day for 14 days over the affected area on the face. Then once at night for 4 weeks. It is also important to keep the affected area well moisturized.

2. Nizoral-AD shampoo: apply and leave for 5 minutes on the scalp after working up a lather. Do this every alternate day. (e.g Mon-Wed-Fri). Use regularly for 4-6 weeks then start decreasing the frequency of application gradually till you reach once a week and maintain. Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo on a cutip should be used to carefully remove the scales from the eyelashes if they are stuck there.

3. Tab Claritin 10 mg morning and evening for 10-14 days.

4. Cap Lumitene (Beta Carotene) one morning and evening for 1 month. This is an excellent anti-oxidant and decreases the inflammation associated with this condition.

5. Tab Biotin 5 mg - morning and evening for 3 months.

6. If sunlight aggravates the condition then try and stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible or use a sunscreen.

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription and should see you through the holidays till you can see a doctor.