Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have an itchy,scratchy, burning sensation on my back and

I have an itchy,scratchy, burning sensation on my back and stomach. There are no visible signs. I have had this for three weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting better. Any idea what it could be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

If I may ask how old are you?

Is your skin unusually dry?

Have you been taking any medicine recently?

Is this itching worse in the evenings/night?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 56. Skin is not unusually dry. No medicine recently. Itching is worse in the evenings.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

I'm so sorry, kept waiting on a response from you but did not see it till just now. I am just typing out your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Your condition sounds like something called Neurodermatitis.

This is a condition where the nerves become hypersensitive and fire under normal conditions to produce a sensation of itching. Neurodermatitis can affect any area of the body. The primary problem is itching and any skin rash, redness or excoriation is secondary to the scratching. The skin may look absolutely normal.

This leads to an 'itch scratch cycle'. As in the more one scratches the more the area itches and so on. The first step in treatment is to break this cycle by giving relief from itching and instructing the patient to avoid scratching as much as possible.

Here is what will help:

1. Clobetasol propionate cream: apply over the affected areas twice a day for 14 days then switch to Fluticasone propionate cream once at night for 2-4 weeks. Both of these will require a prescription. 1% Cortizone cream is a milder OTC alternative.

2. Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 14 days, then once a day for 6-8 weeks. Initially the dose can be increased to 2 tablets taken twice a day if there is insufficient relief in itching.

3. Sarna sensitive lotion can be used 2-3 times a day to give further relief from itching. This can be continued even when the above creams have been stopped.

4. Avoid scratching the affected areas as much as possible. This is most important. Whenever it is not bearable soak a towel in ice cold water and keep it on the affected areas or apply the Sarna sensitive lotion.

5. Keep the area well moisturized with any moisturizer of your choice.

NOTE: 1% Cortizone cream, Claritin and Sarna lotion can be bought without a prescription.