Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

My teenage son has bad acne, what can he use to get rid of

My teenage son has bad acne, what can he use to get rid of them?

How bad is his acne - does he get a lot of pus filled lesions or mostly white and blackheads?

And are you only interested in information on over the counter products?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Really bad and they are mostly white

Both over the counter products/ natural prodts
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Ok. Here is what I think is the best over the counter regimen for acne:

1. Use a salicylic acid face wash (e.g. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment) to wash the face, gently massaging it in for 1-2 minutes before washing off.

2. Clearasil Stayclear Tinted Acne Cream applied twice a day over the pimples. Be careful not to apply too much. There may be slight redness and flaking of skin, but this is normal. Do not apply on non pimply skin.

3. Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment Vanishing Cream: This can be applied safely over the entire face (barring around the eyes and mouth) once at night. Apply a thin film, do not rub. This will prevent new pimples from coming and must be used daily for 2-3 months.

4. Omega three fatty acid capsules: Take one morning and evening after meals for 2-3 months.

5. An antioxidant containing beta carotene or lycopene taken twice a day daily for 12 weeks.

6. Lastly some general precautions - Do not pick or burst lesions, this causes scarring; do not touch the face unnecessarily; avoid hair oil application; limit sunlight exposure especially between 10 am & 4 pm.

7. A word on diet - though there is no conclusive evidence it is a good idea to cut down on very oily & sweet foods. Milk and milk products may also have a role in acne and should be cut down if taken excessively.

I'd be happy to answer any queries you may have.