dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Need help with a slightly raised, red rash on the buttocks.

Customer Question

I have a red, slightly raised rash on my buttocks and a small patch on my right hip bone. It is slightly itchy, and I put Cortisone on it today which did not seem to help nor hurt the symptoms. Could this be an allergic reaction or something equivalent to diaper rash? I have been working out more lately, but this is the only change I have made to my routine. Also, I have looked at pictures online and it looks kind of like rosacea, but I have never had this before and am not experiencing it anywhere else. I have had some acne on my buttocks, but not severe. Thank you!

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

First, this would not be Rosacea. I have never heard of Rosacea occurring in this area.

Would you please describe the rash. Are these pimples?

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

The first sign of the rash on my hip is almost gone. At first I thought it was a flea bite

There are a few pimples (unfortunately I usually have a few there)

I am healthy and not overweight, and have never had rash-like symptoms

dermdoc19 :

Are these patches, say half dollar size? or mostly red spots and pimples.

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

The patch on my hip was half dollar size. the other area that is itchy is larger, and doesn't seem to be associated with the few pimples (they don't usually cause discomfort)

dermdoc19 :

Woud it be a possible to send a photograph of these patches? Do they look like psoriasis patches?

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

It looks very red and irritated, and is slightly raised. There are many pictures of psoriasis online but they look a lot worse than what I am experiencing

dermdoc19 :

Sometimes, psoriasis can begin with a few small patches like that. (Mine did). Would help to see photo?

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :
JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

That is the fading patch on my right hip

dermdoc19 :

OK. So there are a number of these small patches?

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

I've always had a few pimples but it's never itched before

Honestly, it's barely noticeable; but I wanted to take care of it before it got worse

dermdoc19 :

Can you think of any fabric, leather, rubber or contact-ant that would be on this area. Contact dermatitis.

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

I changed my laundry detergent last week but I did not get the redness anywhere else, which made me think it wasn't that (although I didn't use the detergent again)

dermdoc19 :

Any equipment at the gym...metal or nickel exposure?

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

Yes, might have been? but I didn't go to the gym and sit on anything where that area of skin would have been exposed

dermdoc19 :

The pictures are decent but not clear. Do any of these spots have scale?

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

Please describe scale? They are not dried out or flaking

dermdoc19 :

Flaking.

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

No, not at all. The bumps are very tiny, and only slightly raised. They actually do not seem to be related to the pimples at all, and the cortisone does help. Thanks for your help so far, sorry this is taking a while

dermdoc19 :

Sorry, I would recommend a stronger steroid if this is available. Keep the area moisturized with acid mantle cream or Eucerin anti-itch cream. I would avoid fabric softeners and bleach. Also, avoid wearing purple and blue dyed products.

JACUSTOMER-zqtu4gh2- :

But you think it's just an allergy to a product I used?

Thank you again!

dermdoc19 :

So far. If the area does not improve, definitely see a dermatologist. Please let me know if there is any change. Good luck.