dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have had a little red spot on my ankle for a few years (22

Customer Question

I have had a little red spot on my ankle for a few years (22 years old) and in the past few months it has become the size of a 1/2 dollar and almost covers the ankle, it is also a little "scaley". It does not itch or have any symptoms. There are a few little bumps that feel like little beads around the discoloration but they are too small to see, just feel.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Would you be able to send a photograph?

JACUSTOMER-x0kpveug- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-x0kpveug- :

The spot is actually darker than it looks in that picture, I started noticing it getting larger over summer and I cannot really tell but I think it is still increasing in size

dermdoc19 :

Hello, I received and examined your photograph and although it is not the best, XXXXX XXXXX your age, location, history and appearance, this is most likely GRANULOMA ANNULARE

dermdoc19 :

We do no know what causes this, usually there are no symptoms;sometimes this is misdiagnosed by the unwary physician as "ringworm".

dermdoc19 :

The best treatment for this is Kennalog (steroid) injections. Steroid creams or ointments also can be used but these are not as effective.

dermdoc19 :

Some people feel this is a harbinger of diabetes mellitus. But if it is, this often comes on much later in life. This is especially true when people have numerous lesions of GA.

dermdoc19 :

These are totally benign but can persist for months.

dermdoc19 :

If there is any question of this diagnosis, a biopsy is very helpful.

dermdoc19 :

If you have any further questions, feel free to get back to me. If you are satisfied with this response, I would appreciate it if you would strike the ACCEPT button. Half of my proceeds are donated to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-x0kpveug- :

I went to my doctor and she said it was a simple ankle rash

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for the feed-back.