Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist
Experience:  MD , DNB ( D &V), FAAD

I have red, dry patches under both of my eyes very near the

I have red, dry patches under both of my eyes very near the inner portion only. It is at times so dry my skin actually flakes off. It does not really hurt just can sting slightly at times. I hae had it for a few months and I have tried many creams. What could this possibly be?
this is typical seborrheic dermatitis.Suggest Elidel cream twice daily along with a moisturiser like nutraderm cream twice daily .oral zinc 50mg daily for a month is useful.Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would you please let me know what causes this skin problem? And, also what I can do to prevent it from occuring again. Thank you!

The exact cause of seborrheic dermatitis is not clear though it is found that the fungus pityrosporum has an important role to play.To prevent recurrences hydration of the skin is very essential.So regular application of moisturiser will help.Thanks.