Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a large bump on my inner thigh buttocks area. Could

Customer Question

I have a large bump on my inner thigh buttocks area. Could it be a cyst? Its about the size of a dime and hurts a lot. What can I do to get rid of it?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.

How long have you had this bump? Is it redder than the surrounding skin? Any pus head in the center?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ive had this one in particular for about 2 days, but ive had them before. Yes it is redder than the surrounding skin. You can't see a pus head in the center of this one, but it feels like theres stuff in it. If I push on it nothing comes out.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information!

You have what is known as 'Recurrent Folliculitis'. This is basically a bacterial infection of a hair follicle and is commonly seen in the buttock and around the genitalia.

Here is how I treat this condition:

1. Mupirocin ointment twice a day for 5-7 days whenever the bumps come. If there is no improvement within 3 days of this then you will require a 5 days course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day.

2. Dial Antibacterial liquid soap for bathing. Here is the link to buying it ( ). Continue this even when asymptomatic.

3. Mupirocin cream twice a day in the inside skin of the nose for 14 days. This is the commonest site of carriage of the bacteria that causes this condition. Infection keeps recurring from here through carriage by the fingers to other parts of the body.

4. Tab Advil 400 mg taken thrice a day after meals for 3-5 days.

NOTE: Dicloxacilllin and mupirocin will require a prescription so I would recommend discussing my recommendations with your GP/family physician. If you cannot see a doctor for any reason then substitute the mupirocin cream with bacitracin ointment and use as directed for mupirocin cream. Bacitracin ointment is available without a prescription.

Lastly If you get these bumps very frequently then I would advise you to get your blood sugar level done (both fasting and after a meal) as Diabetes is a common cause of Recurrent Folliculitis.

If the sugar level is high then controlling it will cure your condition and prevent recurrences.

Edited by Dr Nair on 9/6/2010 at 8:52 AM EST