Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

i have a hard, white bump on my nose. i have picked at it

i have a hard, white bump on my nose. i have picked at it and it is filled with blood, not pus - how do i get rid of the bump

Since when do you have this bump? How did you get it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it has been on my nose for several years and i don't know how it happened. it doesn't bother me except for my vanity.
Ok, can you upload a picture of it to the question box?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no pictures
Ok no problem. Are you familiar with how to copy and paste text?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do not wish to send picture
I understand that. I wanted to send you links to some pictures to view. You can then tell me if your condition looks like any one of them. Is that ok?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Great. Please take a look at the following pictures and let me know if any of them resemble your bump:

NOTE: You will have to copy andp aste each link individually into the address bar of your internet explorer and press enter to view the photographs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
like number three - except white
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Number three is in fact what I was thinking your condition could be based on your history.

The hard white bump could be an Epidermal Inclusion Cyst. This is a condition where a small piece of the skin gets entrapped below the skin surface leading to gradual formation of a cyst. It is a harmless condition.

Treatment options include surgical removal under local anaesthesia (this is a minor OPD procedure) or injection of triamcinolone (a steroid) directly into the cyst.

Edited by Dr Nair on 9/1/2010 at 1:34 AM EST