Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

My son plagued with skin boils. Dr. cultered, E Coli. 2 rounds

My son plagued with skin boils. Dr. cultered, E Coli. 2 rounds peniciline, no help. Now using colloilal silver salve, is helping, but still problem. Any suggestions?

Penicillin is not very effective against E.coli. How big are these boils? And which part of the body is most affected?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mostly between thighs, vary in size from dime to quarter. The colloidal silver salve seems to be keeping them in check, but they just won't go away.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information!

Your son has what is known as 'Recurrent Folliculitis'. The first step into figuring out how to prevent this is to get his blood sugar level done (both fasting and after a meal). Diabetes is a common cause of Recurrent Folliculitis.

If the sugar level is high then controlling it will cure his condition. If it is normal then here is what I recommend:

1. Mupirocin cream/ointment twice a day for 5-7 days whenever the bumps come. If there is no improvement within 3 days of this then he will require a 5 days course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day. Both of these will require a prescription.

2. Dial Antibacterial liquid soap to continue for bathing. Continue this even when asymptomatic.

3. Mupirocin cream twice a day in the inside skin of the nose for 14 days. This is the commonest site of carriage of the bacteria that causes this condition. Infection keeps recurring from here through carriage by the fingers to other parts of the body.

If despite this he continues to get new lesions then I have found one ayurvedic medicine very helpful in my patients. Its called Septilin and needs to be taken as 2 tablets twice a day for one month with meals and then 1 tablet twice a day for 3 months. It is a very safe drug to take and has no drug interactions.

Here is a link to buying it. It does not require a prescription:

Here is a link to information about this natural drug