Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have developed tiny bumps on my body that itch extremely

Customer Question

I have developed tiny bumps on my body that itch extremely bad, and much worst at night. Itching so bad I am making bruises on my body from scratching. Most of the itching is in my pulvic hair, along the crack of my butt. I also have the bumps developing elsewhere and it as well, between fingers, hands, arms, stomach, a few on legs. Bumps turn into little sores. Can you please let me know if this is any sign of HIV or another STD. I recently did sleep with someone who I didn't know so well. I am afraid to say, I noticed some sores on him and questioned him about them...he said they were mesquitos bites from baseball field that he itched into sores. Or, can this be some stress related nerve thing, I have been under tremendous amount of stree. This has been going on for aboutXXXXX thought it might be allergic reaction, but I can figure from what. Dr. prescribed medicine for itching and steriods, on treatment second time around. Please help, I am terrified!!!!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr Nair :

Dr Nair :

Hi

Dr Nair :

Does anyone else in your house have itching as well?

Customer :

no

Dr Nair :

I didn't understand exactly how long you have these symptoms

Customer :

about six weeks

Dr Nair :

Ok and how many days after sleeping with the person you mentioned did the itching start?

Customer :

about two weeks

Dr Nair :

Is there any itching on the face?

Customer :

The bumps have just recently appear on my lower chin

Dr Nair :

Your symptoms fit into a diagnosis of Scabies with eczematization. I know you've mentioned that scabies creams have not helped but I have a few questions regarding that

Customer :

ok

Dr Nair :

which anti-scabies cream did you use and how?

Customer :

Permethrin and put in on whole body from toes to neck, between fingers and toes, in between thighs, my face was the only place I did not put it. But since I started getting he bumps there, I did put some on my face since.

Dr Nair :

Ok how long was permethrin left on? Did you use it twice with a gap of one week?

Customer :

I use it once actually for 24 hours. I have another prescription which I will apply tomorrow

Customer :

1/2 weeks since last treatment of cream

Customer :

sorry 1 1/2 weeks

Dr Nair :

Ok, have you treated your family members as well? Even if they are completely asymptomatic the scabies mite infests family members (only about 1 in 10 people become hypersensitive to the mite and develop itching). Family members not being treated is the commonest cause of recurrence/perpetuation of scabies

Customer :

no, I have a roomate who is only home about 3 days a week. She has no signs.

Dr Nair :

Thats exactly what I mean. She needs to apply the permethrin too even if she has no signs

Customer :

She doesn't believe I have it for...she thinks it is just nerves and allergic to something

Dr Nair :

I live in India and see about 30 cases of scabies in a day and your symptoms from when they started to their character are textbook

Customer :

Thought it what I have found researching. However, the doctor who really didn't look at me very well didn't think it was that either. He just said whatever it is the treatment would still be the same. However, I had to convince him to prescribe me the cream.

Dr Nair :

You did very well to diagnose this on your own. I'll detail the treatment if you like

Customer :

Please....but r u sure it is not something like HIV. I have been freak out over that.

Dr Nair :

It is always wise to get an HIV test after contact with a new sexual partner but your rash is nothing like what HIV presents like in the initial stages (the so called seroconversion illness). I have no doubt it is Scabies.

Customer :

Thank you ....I think so too.

Customer :

can you detail treatment

Dr Nair :

Ok heres how I treat Scabies:

Dr Nair :

Tab Ivermectin 12 mg once on an empty stomach (if body wt>60 kgs) and then again 7 days later + 5% Permethrin cream to be applied as you have and left on overnight for 12 hours, repeat application after one week (one 30 gram tube is sufficient for one application)+ ALL family members/roommates must be treated irrespective of symptoms (one 30 gram tube per person) + Wash all recently used linen in boiling water + Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 14-21 days. The itching persists for 2-3 weeks after the death of the mite which occurs with the first Permethrin application, continue claritin till it does. For the raw areas - 10% Crotmamiton + 1% Hydrocortisone cream to be applied twice daily for 14-21 days.

Customer :

thank you. the dr. did say if it was that I would continue to itch for several weeks after. However, I didn't think the cream work first time completely because a couple of days after steriod medicine it seemed bumps were still appearing again. Maybe I didn't wait it out long enough. I have already been washing linens and clothes daily. Vacuumed my bed to ensure on bed bugs, which I can't see any of all. thank you so much...we are on the same page and you made me feel a whole lot better. That is why the india dr as so much better.

Customer :

One last thing, I want to ensure that I am only getting charged the $35 dollars and need to cancel to ensure I don't get charged month to month, how do I do that

Dr Nair :

I'm so glad I could help! Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied. Don't worry you will not get charged every month, JustAnswer has an A+ credit rating and no customer I have interacted with since this May has ever had a problem.

Customer :

thank you. I would definitely use this service again and have added it to my favorites.

Dr Nair :

I'm glad :)

Dr Nair :

All the best!

Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)