Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

My arms look like alligator skin. I drink (2) 20 oz of water

Customer Question

My arms look like alligator skin. I drink (2) 20 oz of water a day, plus 2 cups of hot tea and a 8 oz of diet doc.pepper and they still look like alligator skin. Why?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Krill as in the shrimp like seafood?

Do you have any significant medical condition like thyroid problems? Are you on medication for any such condition?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, krill which contains all kinds of seafood like shrimp. I have been taking krill for about 4 months now. No medical problems. I am not taking anything for this problem. I
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not gotten a reply why my arms look like alligator skin. Can anyone come up with an answer. I am embarrassed to wear short sleeved tops.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
I'm so sorry about the delayed reply but by the time you got back to me it was 4 AM here in India and I had gone to bed. I'll be checking in every hour from now on.

The two possibilities that come to mind based on your history are - 1. Keratosis Pilaris 2. Lichen Spinulosis 3. Acquired Icthyosis

A few questions if I may - by alligator skin do you mean that the skin is very dry?

Is it covered with dry attached scales?

Is the colour of the skin normal or darker on the involved area?

Or do you mean that you have many spine like projections on the arms - specially on the outer aspects?

Please try and answer as many of these as you can. It will be helpful in making an accurate diagnosis.

Edited by Dr Nair on 8/16/2010 at 1:55 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It looks scaley but there are no attached scales. The skin color is normal. The top of my hands look the same way. It looks almost like dehyrated skin but I drink a lot of liquids.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information. The two possibilities based on your history are: 1. Keratosis Pilaris 2. Acquired Icthyosis.

Here is what will help:

1. Jergens Naturals Ultra Ultra Hydrating Daily Moisturizer - apply twice a day over the affected area

2. Nutraplus 10% Therapeutic Urea Lotion - apply once at night before sleeping

3. Amlactin-XL lotion - apply once in the morning after your bath

4. Avoid using soaps - Switch to a soap free moisturizer like Nivea soap free body wash

5. Omega-3 fatty acid capsules: one in the morning and one at night after meals. Continue for 3 months. If you have any heart condition and high blood lipid levels then don't take this.

6. Use an SPF 50+ sunscreen over the entire sunexposed parts of your hands whether you are going out or not. Use in the morning after Amlactin/Jergens application and again in the afternoon if you are outdoors.

NOTE: All of the products listed are available without a prescription in the United States. You can also buy them online at Amazon.com

I noticed this is your first question on JustAnswer. If you are satisfied with my responses please press the ACCEPT button. JustAnswer only pays the expert when this is done. The payment will be made from the deposit you have already made. Of course only accept if you are satisfied and please feel free to ask for any further clarification regarding your condition. Regards!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I looked up the two things you said that it could be. No way. I do not have either one. The scaling is very light and not scabby.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Can you upload a photograph of your skin condition to the question box?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I have no way of doing that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I