Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist
Experience:  MD , DNB ( D &V), FAAD
17577241

I have itchy red bumps on my scrotum. They have lasted for

I have itchy red bumps on my scrotum. They have lasted for at least 8 weeks. Have tried creams, lotions: even treated by doctor for scabies. The lumps diminish but never go away. They will start itching again all of a sudden. Now I have a cluster of itchy, acne like bumps on my upper arms and shoulders that won't go away.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Skinner replied 6 years ago.
what you have is scabies.lesions on the scrotum are nodules and are often persistent long after scabies is treated.The acne like bumps are probably minor side effects of the superpotent steroids you have applied.I would suggest oral ivermectin 12 mg to be repeated after 2 weeks, intralesional injection of triamcinolone acetoinide 2.5mg/ml and oral claritin 10mg daily for 3 to 4 weeks.For the acneiform eruption apply differin gel by night for 3 weeks.You should be alright.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
another itchy bump appeared on the scrotum about two weeks after the scabies treatment/retreatment. I was very careful to follow the scabies treatment: wearing the medicine from head-to-toe for at least 12 hours each time and cleaning all bedding, clothes, etc. Is the new itchy bump cause for concern? A new infestation or a side effect? It got black in the center like a blood blister when I scratched it.
The treatment is probably incomplete.oral ivermectin is by far the best antiscabetic available even for refractory cases including the so called norwegian scabies or crusted scabies.