Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

What causes crepey skin and what is the best skin care creme

Customer Question

What causes crepey skin and what is the best skin care creme for it? Does it have anything to do with lack of muscle tone? I am 53 years old and have had it on my arms and legs since about 50. Help!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.
Crepey skin is caused due to loss of skin tone due to the skin producing less collagen and elastin with age. These are the two essential proteins that are responsible for young well toned skin. Muscle tone has very little if anything to do with crepey skin. Numerous creams have been touted as being effective in crepey skin - these include Cynergy TK, Coenzyme Q10, Phytessence Wakame etc. but the general consensus is that the only real thing that works for flabby arms is Brachioplasty (Arm tuck) with or without liposuction. The procedure can be performed by any qualified plastic surgeon. A non invasive method would be Thermage treatment - however this produces modest improvement at best. Lastly hyaluronic acid products like dermal fillers have been disappointing in this condition. The newer IAL system of hyaluronic acid might show some benefit though.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Which cream can I buy that will be the best and most cost effective? Preferably over the counter!
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.
Give this a try - Protective Day Cream with Cynergy TK Keratin and Kiwifruit on for $17. Massage it into your arm three times a day. Try it for 2-3 months to see any improvement. Apply CoQ10 cream at night ( you can buy it here -