Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I am a black man that has bumps on the back of my neck. I cut

I am a black man that has bumps on the back of my neck. I cut my own hair, i do not use a razor on the back of my head or on my neck. I've tried everything to get rid of these bumps but i can't do it. How can i get rid of these back of the head-neck bumps?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

Did you suffer from acne when you were younger? Have you noticed any ingrown hair on the neck?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No i did not suffer from acne when i was younger. Yes my girlfriend was taking some of the hairs out of the bumps. I also have used alcohol and peroxide on my neck.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
Hi, What you have is something called 'Pseudofolliculitis'. It is most commonly seen on the face (in men), groin or axilla (arm-pits; both women & men). The neck can be involved rarely. If it is a small area you could consider getting the hairs responsible permanently removed by laser or electro-epilation. If this is not an option then here is what I would recommend: 1. I know you said that you don't shave on the neck but I've included this information as it might be useful should you choose to do so at a later date - Use a shaving gel prior to shaving. Avoid shaving foams. A special razor can be used for this condition, viz. razors such as the Bump Fighter, the Foil Guard shaver and the PFB razor. An electric shaver is also a good alternative. 2. Use a mild medicated soap for washing the face. e.g. Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar. Brevoxyl creamy face wash may also be used. 3. Benzac-AC 2.5% gel + Clindamycin gel can be used for the active lesions (e.g raised bumps, pustules). 4. Oral antibiotics taken for 4 - 6 weeks can suppress this condition for many months - e.g. Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day. 5. Avoid using any oil on the hair or neck. Hope this helps, please feel free to get back to me regarding any clarification. NOTE: Doxycycline, Benzac -AC and Clindamycin gel are prescription drugs and you will have to see your family physician or dermatologist to get them.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I probably shouldn't have done this but on some of the bumps i busted and scabs comes over the bump and stays there until i take the scab off again and it will just grow another scab over the bumps. an i still get these removed with a laser?