Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I am a black man that has bumps on the back of my neck. I cut

I am a black man that has bumps on the back of my neck. I cut my own hair, i do not use a razor on the back of my head or on my neck. I've tried everything to get rid of these bumps but i can't do it. How can i get rid of these back of the head-neck bumps?

Did you suffer from acne when you were younger? Have you noticed any ingrown hair on the neck?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No i did not suffer from acne when i was younger. Yes my girlfriend was taking some of the hairs out of the bumps. I also have used alcohol and peroxide on my neck.
Hi, What you have is something called 'Pseudofolliculitis'. It is most commonly seen on the face (in men), groin or axilla (arm-pits; both women & men). The neck can be involved rarely. If it is a small area you could consider getting the hairs responsible permanently removed by laser or electro-epilation. If this is not an option then here is what I would recommend: 1. I know you said that you don't shave on the neck but I've included this information as it might be useful should you choose to do so at a later date - Use a shaving gel prior to shaving. Avoid shaving foams. A special razor can be used for this condition, viz. razors such as the Bump Fighter, the Foil Guard shaver and the PFB razor. An electric shaver is also a good alternative. 2. Use a mild medicated soap for washing the face. e.g. Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar. Brevoxyl creamy face wash may also be used. 3. Benzac-AC 2.5% gel + Clindamycin gel can be used for the active lesions (e.g raised bumps, pustules). 4. Oral antibiotics taken for 4 - 6 weeks can suppress this condition for many months - e.g. Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day. 5. Avoid using any oil on the hair or neck. Hope this helps, please feel free to get back to me regarding any clarification. NOTE: Doxycycline, Benzac -AC and Clindamycin gel are prescription drugs and you will have to see your family physician or dermatologist to get them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I probably shouldn't have done this but on some of the bumps i busted and scabs comes over the bump and stays there until i take the scab off again and it will just grow another scab over the bumps. an i still get these removed with a laser?