Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Scalp has patches of thick dead skin building up. The skin

Scalp has patches of thick dead skin building up. The skin is irritated and when picked they ooze yellow pus. The sores on my head will not go away.

Sounds like a bad case of either scalp psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis leading to a skin condition called 'pityriasis amiantacea'. Here is how I treat this:
1. Tab Augmentin 625mg thrice a day for for 5-7 days, to control the pus if present.
2. Capsule Itraconazole 200 mg twice a day for 7 days. Thereafter on the first two days for three consecutive months.
3. Coal tar shampoo (Ionil-T) + 2% ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral-AD) applied alternate day, left on the scalp for 5 minutes.
5. Soak the crusts in olive out overnight- put the oil liberally over the crust, sleep wearing a shower cap - gently tease out the crusts while showering. Repeat weekly if required. Otherwise on a daily basis avoid using any hair oil or greasy hair cream.
5. Fluocinolone lotion applied twice a day to the irritated skin for 14-21 days

Results are best when entire treatment regimen is followed. I would recommend seeing your doctor and discussing my recommendations with him/her, as most of the above are prescription drugs. Hope this helps.