Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

i have a venous leg ulcer and no medical ins. what can i do

i have a venous leg ulcer and no medical ins. what can i do to treat this condition at home
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Was the diagnosis of the venous leg ulcer made by a doctor? Where is it located on the lower leg and how bad is it? do you suffer from 'varicose veins', i.e. unsightly veins bulging under the skin of the calves? Do you smoke? If I may ask what line of work are you in (does it involve prolonged standing)? Any other significant medical history?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no it was not diagnosised by a doctor-location lower left leg tween ankle &calf im not sure how bad it is ..not having anything to compare it to.....no varicose veins....on my calf but ive noticed veins around my feet ...i have cut down smoking...i smoke and know the ramifications......my work involves both sitting&standing ...mainly sitting.....my medical history is clean cept this
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Ok sounds like a venous ulcer. Venous leg ulcers are hard to treat at the best of times and that is why I ask - does no medical insurance mean you have no access to doctors? (As you might have guessed I do not practice in the US and am not fully aware of how insurance works) Do you have any family physician or GP you could go see? Because you will require a prescription for most of the things needed in your condition. If not I'll do my best to advise you about the general measures to care for a venous ulcer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dr nair ...thank you for responding,i need someone....to help me treat this ulcer ...i have been dealing with this...6mos.i do not have access to a md.gp. or a family physician and me having no ins.i was turned away the ulcer is on my left leg inside between ankle &calf i am up &down all day &i try to elevate my leg at nightime.when i stand up the pain is extreme dr.i have access to just about anything i also use water pills . ,i have been using vicidin please .dr.i need some direction as to how to treat this i did buy a compression stocking i need to know how to use it.......look forward to hearing from you.....soon....thank you

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
All right , here is what I would recommend:

1. Fucibet cream applied twice a day in the skin surrounding the ulcer. Not to be applied directly on the ulcer.
2. Bactroban ointment applied twice a day directly to the ulcer. While bathing clean the area with soap and water.
3. Calcium Dobesilate tablets 500 mg twice a day or Tab Pentoxifylline (Trental) 400 mg thrice a day for 6-8 weeks
4. Cover your ulcer with a vaseline or paraffin mesh/gauze over the ulcer, followed by a light bandage - Now wear your compression stocking first thing in the morning. Keep it on all day is possible. Remove it to go to bed at night.
5. Keep your foot elevated by keeping it on a pillow while lying down
6. Avoid prolonged standing - take frequent breaks while working, gently massaging your lower leg and keeping it elevated on a stool for 2-5 minutes whenever you can
7. Quit smoking. If not cut down as much as you can.
8. Eat a high protein diet. This will help the wound heal.
9. Omega three fatty acid capsules - twice a day after meals
10. Multivitamin capsules - once a day

For pain - Continue Vicodin for pain - 1-2 tablets two to three times a day for the acute pain, taken SOS thereafter.
Water pills are not required. The swelling will start to decrease with the above treatment.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dr nair many many thanks,i truly appreciate you taking the time to really help me ! i just have a couple of questions how do i aquire calcium doblesilate/(trental) in my ignorant ,s research i found both medications require dr.script ,i was all unknowing,in regards XXXXX XXXXX cream where do i get it /price is no object....med .insuarence i cant afford ... i cant get medi -cal therefore i have been essiantally on my own to deal with this major albiet minor affliction in the med. industry. i have learned via this internet., everything people can do..done ...doin ....etc. is ...well there on the computer....bactroban..is another med .first time where and how do i get? where do i get vasoline/paraffin gauze?man if you only knew how much ths means2me..2 regain my former self...i understand the theory /compression stocking ...i purchased one pr.last weekend.can you tell me how to put em on ?my calf is 19"around i bought xl ...the protien increase i concur...i have cut down my smoking ..
the omega 3 fatty acid multi v. is available over the counter ..again with heartfelt thanks ...can you help me with ...or instruct me as to what i must do to treat myself i ...want my health . outstanding !
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i think i can get a handle on this nasty ..with your help ""i got this" thanks dr. nair truly an expert...and everyrthing else
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

The correct way to wear the compression stocking is to roll it inside out and then unroll it onto the leg beginning from the foot. Sorry I took your statement of having access to just about anything to mean you could somehow get these drugs without a prescription because in some countries (like India where I practice) they don't need one. No worries, Substitute the Fucibet cream which is also a prescription drug with a mixture of 1% hydrocortisone cream+ Bacitracin cream, and the Bactroban with Bacitracin, 1/2 oz cream. These are all available over the counter. You can make a vaseline gauze by cutting 4-6'' of bandage, folding it into a neat square 1-2'' in size and soaking this in regular vaseline jelly.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist