Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have what appears to be a pimple on my bikini line near my

<p>I have what appears to be a pimple on my bikini line near my thigh on the right side. <br /><br />Under the pimple is a solid base that feels like a cyst. Is this possible? What else could it be? I dont think it is an ingrown hair as there is a hair coming out the centre. <br /><br />Clear liquid and blood came out wnen squeezed. Is very painful when touched.</p><p> </p><p>I shave my bikini line.</p>

how long have you had this pimple? Have you waxed your bikini line in the recent past?

Do you gave any significant medical history?

Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your skin condition using picasa, flickr or photobucket and send me the link?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I waxed about 6 weeks ago - shaved in between and been having a lot f problems with ingrown hairs.

I only noticed the pimple yesterday but have had many pimples lately do could have been there for a week.

I cant up load a pic but the hard area is nothing you can see you just feel it. the pimple is light pink

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The hard base is under the skin to desribe it fully!
What you have is something called 'Pseudofolliculitis'. It is most commonly seen on the face (in men), groin or axilla (arm-pits). If it is a recurrent problem you could consider getting the hairs responsible permanently removed by laser or electro-epilation. If this is not an option then here is what i would recommend:
1. Do not shave in the affected area. If the hair are allowed to grow out and are 1/2 to 1 inch in length, this condition usually stops. However if you want a clean bikini line then shave in the direction of hair growth, not against it. Use a shaving gel prior to shaving. Avoid shaving foams. A special razor can be used for this condition, viz. razors such as the Bump Fighter, the Foil Guard shaver and the PFB razor. An electric shaver is also a good alternative.
2. Use a mild medicated soap for bathing. e.g. Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar. Brevoxyl creamy face wash may also be used.
3. Benzac-AC 2.5% gel + Clindamycin gel can be used for the active lesions (e.g raised bumps, pustules). This is what you currently have.
4. Oral antibiotics taken for 4 - 6 weeks can suppress this condition for many months - e.g. Doxycycline 100 mg twice a day

Recommendations number 3 and 4 will require a prescription in all likelihood. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your family physician and discussing my advice with him.

Hope this helps, please feel free to get back to me regarding any clarification.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is it normal for there to be pain under the skin?
Yes absolutely. When the hair follicle gets irritated and the secondarily infected by skin bacteria, this leads to a dermal (deep skin) reaction that limits the infection but causes the appearance of a firm to hard, painful bump that feels like it is slightly below the surface of the skin. If the pain is really bothering you add Tab Ibuprofen 400 mg twice a day to the prescription I had sent you earlier.