Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist
Experience:  MD , DNB ( D &V), FAAD

My problem started when I put anti-fungal cream on my healthy face (on the side

My problem started when I put anti-fungal cream on my healthy face (on the side of my left eye) by mistake. Then the skin got dry. It bothered me, so I put scotch tape on the spot and peeled off the surface of the dry spot. Of course the dryness didn't disappear. Then the skin started to be red and irritated. Then the dry itchy red patch started to be flaky like fungal infection. When I put steroid cream, it seemed to get better but the spot came back again and again. Now the spot is very big and very red and flaky. The edge is slightly puffy. (The patch area includes eye lid too) Now Steroid does not seem to be working. Even if I use it, the spot stays red and the irritation doesn't go away. I put anti-fungal cream again, it works next day so I used two more days and spot got worse again. When I try not to put anything, it will not improve the skin. Moisturizer doesn't work either. This probelm has been with me for 6 years now. What do you suggest?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Skinner replied 6 years ago.
You are likely to have contact dermatitis to the creams, most likely the vehicle in the creams, colophony in the plaster and may be recently even to topical steroids.The best way to go about this problem now is to go for a patch test which will tell us exactly what you are allergic to.The treatment can then be tailored accordingly.