Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY

I have had sores and patches of crusty scabs on the back of my head near my neck and

I have had sores and patches of crusty scabs on the back of my head near my neck and on the left side of my head near the front of my head. I have tried T gel and selsen blue and zincplex. Nothing seems to help. I am going through menopause and when I have hot flashes my head burns so bad from the sweat getting in the sores. What else can I possibly due. I don't have any flakes like dandruff.
Thanks
Deb
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 3 years ago.

hello,

it will be better to see the photos and diagnose your condition. would it be possible for you to post them here through amazonaws.com or picasa?

you can also give me information on the size, shape,color of the lesions? Whether they are flat or raised? how do they start? where did they first start? how did it progress? any fluid filled or pus filled lesions? did you take any medications for it? are you on any other medications?

If you cannot send me photos, please do let me know.

Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The sores start out as bumps. They will get real sore and then they drain a clear liquid. Sometimes they are small and sometimes they get as big around as the end of my little finger. There has never been puss from them but it is more like a sticky fluid when I scratch the scabs off of them. I have not taken any medication for them and am not on any medications for anything now. They first started on the back of my head towards the base of my neck and moved up. Then they started showing up on the left side of my head towards the front of my head. The scabs are sometimes brown and sometimes they look like a thick white crust. I am unable to send photos.
Thanks
Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I have not received an answer as of yet.
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 3 years ago.
hello,

i am sorry for the delayed response, but the unavailability of photos took a little long.

from your description i can offer you differential diagnosis:-

1. impetigo

2. seborrheic dermatitis

3. allergic contact dermatitis

4. scalp psoriasis

5. pemphigus vulgaris.

in dermatology, we need to see the lesions to come to a final diagnosis, till then the diagnosis is most probable.

you need to visit a dermatologist and you could discuss my suggestions with him.

i would suggest that till you can get an appointment, you could start using a combination of neosporin and cortisone cream over the lesions twice a day for a week and see if it helps.

also you can wash your hair with ketoconazole shampoo diluted 1:1, twice a week.

please feel free to ask me in case you have any queries.

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.

Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY