Dr Jones
Dr Jones, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MD

why does my scalp hurt when i move the hair on my head. Also

why does my scalp hurt when i move the hair on my head. Also it is always sore. noticing bald patches also. Please HElp
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 6 years ago.
Have you tried anything for dandruff?
Since how long you are having dandruff?
Please describe your symptoms in detail.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just regular dandruff shampoo. Extreme flakiness towards the front of my head. Large flakes. Scalp always seems to be dry. I have tried numerous ointments. However, when I brush my hair which moves my hair my scalp hurts. Sometimes when i just lift a hair on my head each individual hair hurts my scalp when i move the hair. Is their something I can do. Really frantic as I have noticed bald spot on the fron of my scalp.. Scalp itches all the time
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

From the details provided it seems you have advanced dandruff.Dandruff is a fungal infection and can be associated with scalp soreness and generalised or local loss of hairs.

Dandruff is usually quiet resistant to even proper treatment and have high rate of recurrence.Antifungal shampoo like nizoral (ketoconazole) can be extremely helpful in your case. Keep your hairs clean and dry.Avoid keeping hair moist for longer duration. I think this treatment should provide significant relief in your case. For time being you may consider use of antihistaminics if itching is a concern.

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would this (dandruff) be the cause of loss of hair and scalp soreness when I brush my hair?
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 6 years ago.
Yes surely you can get hair loss and sore scalp due to dandruff.These are common associated complains in cases of dandruff.

Please ask if there are any further questions.