Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist

I have raised very itch bumps on my arms, legs, and back.

Customer Question

I have raised very itch bumps on my arms, legs, and back. It started in the small of my back and since has spread to my forearms, inner thighs, and shoulders. The first dermatologist thought it was shingles but after treatment it got a little better but it came back. The second dermatologist thought it was scabbies and I had a skin biopsy, it came back negative, but he wanted me to try the 5% Permithrin cream anyway. It was fine going on but when I rinsed it I have a reaction where the small bumps spread to my shouldrers. I have looked for mites and cannot find them. The raised bumps are no more that 1 mm tall and they really itch. I scratch it so much that the area turns red.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 years ago.

the distribution you are describing is classic for a condition known as dermatitis herpetiformis. scabies never affects back of adults.

do you get tiny fluid filled lesions ever? you can also send me your photos.

the treatment for dermatitis herpetiformis is dapsone.

also you need to evaluate yourself as it is associated with gluten sensitive enteropathy.

also you need to take antihistaminics for the itching.

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, so far I have not gotten any lesions filled with fluid.

The areas that I itch get very red and the skin seems to dry out.

Tim LaRose

Expert:  Dermadoc replied 6 years ago.

generally the patient just experiences a lot of itching in dermatitis herpetiformis. blisters may be very tiny and transient.

you could send me your pictures if you like.