Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems

Hi! I have these small whiteheads on my legs, they itch and

Customer Question

Hi! I have these small whiteheads on my legs, they itch and they kinda hurt. Everyone that has seen them say they look like bug bites, only no one is sure what kind of bug and im the only one in my house with them. I've compared the bumps to bug bite pictures and nothing matches. It started on the front of my thighs and now they are jus randomly popping up in different places like my arm, my ankle, my knee. I've put alcohol on them and they dried up stopped itching but then another one will pop up in a different spot. I dont know what to do. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP..
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 6 years ago.
Can you describe them, or better still, post a photo?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well, there really isnt anything to take a pic of because once i put the alcohol on it, it dries up and its no longer red and itchy. but they are small red bumps with whiteheads that itch and hurt a little. it kinda looks like acne, but they're swollen like bug bites. is there anything specific you want to know?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 6 years ago.
No--that's enough to go on. The likely diagnosis is keratosis pilaris which is in essence a type of acne of the legs. Treatment includes ammonium lactate cream, urea cream, and cortisone cream. Stay away from the alcohol--that only dries the skin and isn't effective for this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, is it contagious? because it is localized on my legs but i did get one on my arm near my elbow.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 6 years ago.
No, it's just like acne and not contagious.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
alright. is there anyhting else it could be? I just looked at pictures of keratosis pilaris and those bumps are fine and smaller than mine and im not prone to body acne. I know its difficult to say without seeing a picture. but my bumps are swollen, hard and sore, they look like mosquito bites with whiteheads & they feel like bug bites but like i said no one else in my house has been afftected but me. Is there some type of skin parasite or skin fungus?? i don't know..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 6 years ago.
I doubt anything else. Insect bites are generally only red, not white.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thank you!