What causes a purple color on the ears, nose and upper che

Customer Question

What causes a purple color on the ears, nose and upper chest?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Doctor7860 replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I would like to have few details from you. any history of shortness of breath? any known medical illness? duration of these symptoms? any tests done?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The purple discoloration has been evident for at least the last two years. At times, it is more pronounced that at other times.

There has been a recent diagnosis of substernum goiter, which has the esophagus and the trachea pushed to one side. Surgery is upcoming.

There has not been a significant breathing problem as a result of this thus far.

Thanks for your details. This can be due to low oxygenation levels as a result of pressure on trachea. I will advise further tests for you in order to rule out these disorders which can also give such symptoms such as lung disorders, hyperlipidemia, anemia, blood disorders. The tests should includes spirometry, lipid profile, complete blood count, CT chest, bleeding profile. I will also suggest you to see Internist for complete evaluation.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Recent tests indicate oxygenation levels at 95%. Lung x-rays were good. I would like a more concise indication of the blood disorders, deficiencies that might cause such a manifestation.
I am going to OPT out so another expert might help you in this. Best wishes