DermDoc
DermDoc, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have severe burning chapped lips. I have tried eliminating

I have severe burning chapped lips. I have tried eliminating possible things that could cause it. I stopped taking baby aspirin daily, cutting out nuts, cutting out citrus, and I have had no success. It's been a problem for over a year and this current episode has lasted three weeks and seems to be the worst it's ever been.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DermDoc replied 4 years ago.

Well sometimes burning and dry lips are caused due to sun exposure, and sometimes from an unconscious lip-licking habit,breathing with an open mouth,less intake of water.

Apart from this other possibility include Allergic Dermatitis of your lips.
This may be secondary to generalised systemic disease or may be secondary to local cosmetics or applications you are using.
Stop all Vaseline /lip balm products.
It is advised to apply unflavored lip balm, avoid flavored toothpaste, aloe vera gel, rub cucumber slices on the lips.
Drink plenty of fluids.
Avoid spicy and hot foods.
Avoid exposure to wind, sun, or cold, dry air,breathing with an open mouth and licking your lips.
You can take OTC Cetrizine .
You shoud apply a mild topical hydrocortisone cream to help decrease the irritation.
Avoid lipstick for sometime.
Honey has antibacterial properties which can help heal and soothe chapped lips

If the symptoms 'll persist you should consult a doctor/dermatologist for further evaluation and management.
I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know it is difficult for you to really give me an answer that will truly help me. You do not know me, my history, and so I do not mean any disrespect by saying that your answer was not anything "new" to me. I did go buy some Zyrtec yesterday. I have stopped ALL lipstick, vaseline, and regular chapstick. I am using an organic, no preservatives, no perfume, no parabens etc, chapstick. I have to use SOMETHING AT ALL TIMES because the burning, dryness, and swollen feeling are unbearable. I wrote to you yesterday because the burning was the worst I have ever experienced. I have a high tolerance for these kinds of things but I just about went insane yesterday. I hate going to doctors (sorry!). I am so desparate to find the cause to my problem that I may have to find an allergist. And believe me, this is a last resort. I am a 58 year old, 115 pound female. I keep very fit by going to the gym five days a week, and I work out hard! I am very much into good nutrition. I have eliminated so many things from my diet that I felt could conceivably cause this horrible condition and I am on the verge of fasting for as long as I can to see if it improves, however, I am smart enough to know that's a ridiculous idea!!! I am replying to your answer yesterday because I know this website wants their money.
Expert:  DermDoc replied 4 years ago.
One cause of getting chapped lips may be thyroid dysfunction which should be ruled out in your case .

A such you can try some natural methods as well for your condition like coconut oil, or olive oil for local application .
DermDoc, Doctor
Experience: M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.