How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 28929
Experience:  MD
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Red ring around the foreskin of my penis

This answer was rated:

I have a red ring around the foreskin of my penis were it rides on the rim of the head of my penis when soft and also i have red spots that are on the rim of the head of my penis, these seem to be slighty swollen. I have no other symtems, no pain, no discomfort, no problems urinating, no sores or soreness, no discomfort at all just this uglyness.


Red ring along with red spots can be due to the inflammation caused by infections.

Another possibility is eczematous reaction to the cloth material, condoms or personal hygiene products.

The next possible cause may be due to a condition called plasma cell balanitis.

This is usually due to the abnormal immune response by the body.

You can try antibacterial ointment neosporin & hydrocortisone ointment week to see if any improvement occurs.

Otherwise, you need to see a dermatologist evaluation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I started using triple antibiatic cream and antibacterial soap but it seems to make it redder, no worse but redder. Is this normal?

Thanks so much picture.

This clarifies the issue.

your lesions is likely related to the balanitis xerotica, a progressively inflammatory condition.

Another possibility is erythroplasia of Querat.

This is a premalignant condition & reuires skin biopsy diagnosis.

In the meantime, please avoid soap & antibiotics cream, as this is not an infection.

You can try hydrocortisone cream.

But, please see a dermatologist soon skin biopsy.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

One more thing, I have never in my intire life had any medical problems. I purchased my home in june of this year and it is a very old home that needed many repairs, one of witch was that the bathroom plumming was not working in the shower, so we were unable to take baths some time untill the walls and plumming were repaired. we were forced to do sponge baths sometime, could this have created the problem? It started about that time.

It's possible.

As I mentioned atopic dermatitis one possibility, but this should respond to steroid cream.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

you have been VERY helpfull. I just have this one last reply .

Can these conditions you have mentioned be successfully treated, (professionally of course)?

Are these conditions, or can these conditions be sexually transmitted?

You mentioned steroid creme and hydrocoritzone creme, are they one in the same? Can they be purchased over the counter? can I saffully try them few days to see if it helps?

Thank you once again your help.

Hydrocortisone is a steroid cream & available over the counter.

Other potent steroid creams like triamcinolone, clobetasol etc are prescription medications.

No these conditions are not sexually transmitted.

Yes, these conditions can be treated successfully.

You can try hydrocortisose cream day to see if your rash improves.

Good luck,

Dr Basu and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you