Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

my nose feels really hot at the end of the day and looks really

my nose feels really hot at the end of the day and looks really red, any ideas what it could be
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 7 years ago.
hello,

you are right in thinking that it is a form of rosacea and there are treatments available. do you get anything else suggestive of rosacea such as pus filled lesions, red coloured lesions like pimples, dilated veins, burning or stinging sensation of eyes? enlarged nose?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My nose area doesnt really get affected by spots however I do get alot of blackheads on and around my nose. My nose gets hot and feels burning and is always very greasy.
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 7 years ago.
hello,

the treatment for rosacea consists of:-

the triggering factors that exacerbate rosacea should be identified and avoided if possible. These factors may be unique to each individual patient. Common triggering factors include hot or cold temperatures, wind, hot drinks, caffeine, exercise, spicy food, alcohol, emotions, topical products that irritate the skin and decrease the barrier, or medications that cause flushing.
The use of daily broad-spectrum sunscreen is recommended,
Topical metronidazole is commonly used as a first-line agent. oral and topical antibiotics are also widely used, oral and topical retinoids, spironolactone etc are also used.

Vascular lasers are also used in rosacea therapy.

since your skin is greasy, the ideal for you would be twice daily application of metronidazole gel and night application of tretinoin cream. this mode of treatment can be tried for atleast 2 months and the effect evaluated, also an oral antibiotic like doxycycline can be added under a doctor's supervision if you get pus filled lesions.

if this doesnt help , then considering isotretinoin under strict medical supervision, would be helpful.

at all times when being exposed to the sun, using sunscreen is a must. avoidance of triggering factors also helps.
hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I need to get these medications from the doctor or am i able to get them over the counter at the pharmacy.
Many thanks
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 7 years ago.
hello,

its best to apply these medications under a doctor's supervision. the change in your lesions, improvement, everything is assessed and adequate measures are taken.