I have a purple colored bump on my stomach. It started as

Customer Question

I have a purple colored bump on my stomach. It started as a red bump that I thought looked like a bite of some sort. It got progressively larger, and as I said, changed color. I went to a doctor who said she had never really seen anything like it, but that it could be an abscess or a hernia. I have never heard of a hernia that is visible on the skin. I have been on antibiotics for 7 days, 3 to go. The bump seems smaller and less purple, but is still there. What am I supposed to do now? And, do these options sound logical?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DrDLove replied 7 years ago.
I agree that it does not sound like a hernia. There can be a hernia of the abdominal wall that can present as a lump, but not typically as a discolored area. It certainly can have started as a bite that has become inflamed and/or infected or developed some bruising. Antibiotics are appropriate. Benadryl and moist compresses may help with any reactive inflammation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Because it has not cleared fully and still has a definite bump, do I need to go back or call in for more antibiotics? Is it supposed to be completely cleared up before I "let it go"? Like I said, it appears to be responding to the antibiotics by decreasing in size and diminishing in its color. Another strange thing; the skin on top of it seems to be peeling since I started the antibiotics.