Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of experience as doctor

I noticed a red painful bump on my stomach a couple of days

I noticed a red painful bump on my stomach a couple of days ago somewhat like you would get from an ingrown hair. Yesterday I developed a smaller bump on my hand that looks and feels the same. I also realized tonight I have a low grade fever. Should I be concerned? The only health issue that I have that I know about is thyroid issue and my T3s were low the last time I had them checked.

Since how long? how large? Any test ? Any treatment taken?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The area on my stomach is about the diameter of a dime. It is red, raised, painful, and now has a small ulcer in the center. The area on my hand is the diameter of a pencil eraser same as the stomach but without the ulcer. Stomach area has been there for 4-5 days. The hand for 2 days. Tonight I scrubbed both with peroxide. No other treatments or tests. I recently had blood test for some neurology issues (tingling toes and fingers) and all the bloodwork came back normal. The only test that has been off is in June my T3 levels had dropped from 160 to 89. I have since raised my levothyroxine and the neurological symptoms have improved.
Thank you for the input.

The red painful bumps sound that they are due to infection of bacteria. These may be infection like folliculitis or pimples. It needs to be examined by doctor. If they are small then in many cases no treatment is required .This can clear off by itself like by applying moist warm compress & keeping the area clean. In some cases oral or local antibiotics like neosporin cream can be needed.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your early recovery.
Any query, please ask.