How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask B Wildemore Your Own Question
B Wildemore
B Wildemore,
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 1597
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
B Wildemore is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have really dry skin around my mouth and its been there

Customer Question

I have really dry skin around my mouth and it's been there around 6 years. It really affects my life, I'm quite a confident person when it's good but when it's bad I don't even want to leave the house. I went to see a skin specialist about 6 months ago and he told me to put vaseline on my lips every hour. I've been doing this consistently and it doesn't seem to be improving. I've tried everything and even occasionally add some hydrocortisone cream to it. I was told to use this sparingly because I have dark skin and it's supposed to take out pigmentation. I'll do everything in my power to do it but nothing seems to work. Another point to add is on the left side on my mouth on the outside lip area where the white dry skin is present there is a pretty large scar. This sometimes turns bright red and can get scabs. I also occasionally get little cuts around my mouth and they turn into horrible looking scabs. The skin specialist said I could be licking my lips because I'm anxious. Any help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  B Wildemore replied 7 years ago.
Hello. I would be happy to try to answer your question.

My understanding of your question is that you have a problem with very dry skin around your mouth.

You may want to see a dermatologist, who can best diagnosis and treat your problem. I would agree with skin specialist and advise you to be extremely careful using cortisone on your face. Cortisone can thin the skin of the face, and lead to depigmentation as has been mentioned to you before.

I am concerned with the cuts and scab on your face around your mouth and feel that a dermatologist should examine you to determine the cause. They may also be able to suggest a good lip balm that will help keep your lips hydrated and help to prevent the scabs from forming.

I understand how difficult the condition must be for you, especially having been present for 6 years. I would also suggest you see your primary doctor to give you a good physical with blood work, to see if there are any underlying issues that may be contributing to this condition.

I hope this helps. I put a good amount of thought and care in to my answer. Please be respectful of my time and effort, and if satisfied, please click ACCEPT so I may be paid for my work. Use of this service does not constitute any patient relationship, and I assume no medico-legal responsibility.

Take good care, and best wishes.

B Wildemore, MD