Dr. Arun Phophalia, Cosmetic surgeon
Experience:  MBBS MS

I received a diagnosis of CD34-Positive Spindle Cell Proliferation

I received a diagnosis of CD34-Positive Spindle Cell Proliferation extending to the tissue edges with a recommendation of complete re-excision to ensure complete removal. The diagnosis was further defined as "lichen myxedematosus of plaque type". My impression from talking with my primary care physician is that re-excision is necessary as a precautionary measure and that none of these rare cells tested positive for cancer. Can you give me some straight talk about the seriousness of my diagnosis?

Thanks you
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

From which area was the biopsy taken?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My upper right arm. The full lesion was removed.

You biopsy is benign but these lesion have a tendency for the recurrence and the recurrence has an aggressive character than previous original lesion. Thus the recommendations are to remove about 2 to 5 cm of margin of the normal tissue (depending on the availability of the tissue margins) to prevent the local recurrence and to ascertain that no residual tumor has remained.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is a spindle cell and does it matter that I had this on my arm for more than 20 years?

A spindle cell is the name which originates from the shape of cell. It is a connective tissue cell and can undergo changes where it can multiply and give birth to a lump. This lump is benign unless there are certain changes in the cell and its nucleus, when it can undergo what we term as malignant transformation. Since the lump was there for 20 years, with the same size and shape, it is very likely that it has not gone in a change of mode i.e. malignant transformation. Sometimes they remain dormant for years together and suddenly do go in malignant change and rapidly increase in size, shape, vascularity. Why does this happens and what triggers this, is unknown. If this happens, a wide margin excision should be done to be on the safe side as any recurrence has far more aggressive nature. If there are nuclear changes in the biopsy which suggest that there was a chance of cells being going in proliferation, an excision margin of one or two inches is essential for the safety reasons.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun