cssharma82
cssharma82,
14180959

Have these very microscopic black bugs crawling on my head

Customer Question

Have these very microscopic black bugs crawling on my head and face. They look about the size of a coffee granule or a small piece of mascara. They move very quickly and make my face itchy. What could they be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  cssharma82 replied 7 years ago.

Dear denise,

greetings and welcome to justanswer,

How long are you having the symptoms?

What are the drugs or shampoos you have used yet?

Did you consult a doctor yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Symptoms for 2 days.

I have been taking vitamin supplements for about three weeks now. Had appt with homeopathic persons and he recommended Beta Plus, Livotrit Plus, and B6 Phosphate. Had gallbladder removed in Feb. and also quit smoking at same time. Gained 30-40 lbs. in 5 months. Also experience bladder control problem. Also taking Meridian Complex.

Have not consulted a doctor yet. Can't get appointments here for 6 months and they will not give you advice over phone.

Dear denise,

thank you for the information,

As per the symptoms you have described, it seems that you are infested with head louse which is small , black in colour and an ectoparasite sucking blood from the skin of the head.It can infect any person from child to adult.

There are some treatment options available for it like the shampoo, ointments containing malathion (eg Derbac M) ,phenothrin (eg Full Marks) and permethrin , etc.

You may get these above shampoo and lotion from the pharmacy as OTc drug without any need of prscription.

You apply it over your head, avoiding the eyes and the louse will be killed.

Please visit here for more information:

head louse

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do you get head louse

Dear denise,

Thank you for the enquiry,

The head louse only pass from person to person by head-to-head contact and also it doesn't survive away from the scalp so there is no need to treat the bed linen, clothings, etc.The pets do not spread human head lice.

You must have acquired this infestation by close contact with the head someone who was already infested with this.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this the same as head lice?

Dear denise,

Yes, it is the same as head lice as both belongs to same generic species

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you get this from an animal?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If this is the same as lice, why don't I have to treat linens, clothing, etc?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you still answering my questions about head louse?

Dear denise,

I am sorry as i was offline.

Yes, it is the same as head lice.

You may treat the linens, clothings as well but the lice hardly survive away from the scalp.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not have any children or grandchildren in the home. How could I have possibly picked up lice?

Dear denise,

Its NOt that you have picked it up right now.It may be a few months to years before you infested with lice.It is the likely possibility that you acquired the infestation a long back and now the symptoms are severe enough and you are able to see the lice on your head and face..

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Why would it take years to surface? Find that hard to believe.

Have you ever heard of Licenex? It's a shampoo you can purchase at a health food store to remove lice. Do you know if it is effective or not?

What is your best suggestion. Have a wedding to attend on Saturday and need to get something into my scalp ASAP.

Dear denise,

Thank you for the information,

The permethrin containing shampoo and lotion are the first line of treatment and is avialable as OTC as Permethrin 1% (Nix) which you may get from near by pharmacy without prescription

Though you may also use licenex which is also a natural herbal product and is believed to kill the lice.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your advice. Will probably stop by my PCP's office and perhaps he will have the same diagnosis. I'm not convinced it is lice.

Dear denise,

Thank you for the reply!

Please click green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer!

Best Wishes!