Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Allergy specialist
Experience:  6 years of experience as a family physician, general practioner; MD -Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

I have these small raised white bumps on arms ,feet hands and

I have these small raised white bumps on arms ,feet hands and legs. sometimes itchbut not often,acutally my skin will itch, i scratch and thes bumps appear. I had 2 pharmacyst say it was possible a form of psoriasis. No reddness,
Do you have any idea of what this is??
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 7 years ago.

This can possibly be
1. eczema
2. sweat dermatitis
3. allergic reactions
4. scabies
5. insect bite

A picture would be helpful.

General measures include:
1. wash the areas several times with fresh water
2. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites
3. Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions
4. oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine would also help by reducing the itch during a flare up and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Please click ACCEPT to help me get my dues.

Best regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am a retired nurse, so I am familiar with the disorders you described, so not it. I will have to visit a doctor. this has has been going on for about 5 years,

thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

these bumps are like white ,slightly raised, skin patches about the the size of a small molel .I think the skin is not shedding properly in these areas.I can minimize them by applying vaseline,but that is greasy and if I quit using it they come back.

It would help if you could upload a picture.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry I cannot do pictures. I have no camera.

I understand that you are a trained medical professional - but i would suggest that you listen to my advise here - try the following measures for a couple of days - if your symptoms persist - then you definitely need to see a skin specialist.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene . Wear lose comfortable clothes. Wash all your linen and towels etc with a disinfectant solution.

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate lesions a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

These are my recommendations for now. You may ask any questions that you may have.

If satisfied, please click ACCEPT so I can get dues for the answers.

Best regards