cssharma82
cssharma82,
14180959

Bump on top of my head that is bone hard

I noticed a bump on top of my head that is bone hard and doesn't hurt anymore than pressing hard on any other part of my head. I do have a regular checkup with doctor at end of the month but should i try to schedule an xray/mri with a specialist to be sure since my regular doctor prob refer me to them anyway? I am hoping it is just a "normal bump" and nothing else and i havent had any "impairment" since finding it or anytime before. if it is really bad any symptoms i can notice?thanks!

And also what kind of specialist do i go see for this type of problem? A radiologist? thanks!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  cssharma82 replied 7 years ago.

Greetings and thank you for using JustAnswer,

What is your age/sex?

How long are you having bump?

What is the colour, size, location of the swelling?

Any associated fever, redness, discharge from the site?

Do you take any drugs or medications?

Is the swelling soft or hard?

Did you have any investigation?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What is your age/sex? 28/Male

How long are you having bump? I am not sure... maybe a while or just started to notice?

Color is about the color of my scalp - no difference there. Size is maybe about a size of a bottle soda cap- that is the radius not the height of the bump. The bump is not the tall at all. The location is the probably to the left of the midsection of my head and about the midpoint of the top of my head. So it looks like:

T is the top of my head. The P is the "problem" and B is the starting point where it is curving to the back of my head.

TTTTT

TTTTT

TPTTT

TTTTT
TTTTT
BBBBB

Any associated fever, redness, discharge from the site? Nope.

Do you take any drugs or medications? Nope

Is the swelling soft or hard? Hard. It feels like a bone and has the same "toughness" as the other parts of my head....

Did you have any investigation? Not yet... I do have doctor's appointment for regular checkup at the end of the month but I was thinking going to a specialist to have a complete checkup before that so if you can suggest a type of specialist to go see that would be great.

Thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of such scalp swelling.The common ones are scalp haematoma, benign tumour, lipoma, keratoacnthoma, etc.

You should consult neurosurgeon for this type of swelling who may order an CT scan brain or MRI brain for you.

The Ct scan will tell us the exact size, shape and any internal extension of this swelling into the brain.

The tumour may need to be resected if it is present.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you!