How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Bhumika Your Own Question
Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Allergy specialist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 3197
Experience:  6 years of experience as a family physician, general practioner; MD -Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr Bhumika is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive had an itchy rash that comes and goes, starts in bumps

Resolved Question:

I've had an itchy rash that comes and goes, starts in bumps and sometimes gets as large as 3" in diameter. I saw an allergist who ordered blood work which produced negative results. I've tried to find out on my own by eliminating various foods from my diet, but have also met with negative results. Needless to say, I'm miserable. My allergist has prescribed the following and I take it religiously: Zantac 150 twice a day, Xyzal taken at night, and Alavert (which though it's a 24 hr. dosage, I end up taking two or three a day, which the Allergist approved). Are the scratch tests more effective in finding the root cause of the rash, and, if so, where can I go to get this test performed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 8 years ago.

This is IDIOPATHIC URTICARIA. You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak lesion may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Let me know if i can help you further.

Please click - ACCEPT if you find this helpful so that i get paid for my work . A bonus would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Dr Bhumika and other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I already have been told all of what you have told me. I stated that I take Alavert and Xyzal; these are antihistamines. I take them religiously as I also stated. I use hypoallergenic soap and lotion. My question still remains the same: Is it worth my time to go for the scratch/skin test and, if so, do I go to a dermatologist or back to my allergist and request it?
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 8 years ago.

You should see a dermatologist for the scratch test.