Dr Jef Burk
Dr Jef Burk, DR
Experience:  MBBS
5101698

Red plaques on glans penis

Customer Question

I sometimes have 2 red plaques that appear on my glans penis. They are about 4mm by 1cm in size and are close to the base and on each side (static position). It seems to me that it may just be irritation but when it's not red (as it is after masturbation or sexual relations) I can still see their location as the skin looks a little lither than elsewhere and the texture is a bit different too (looks smoother). It kind of looks like scar tissue to me. It's not the easiest thing to describe.

Basically I've had those for quite a while and it's not really causing any problem but I'd like to confirm that it's nothing serious that would require treatment.

Thanks,
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 5 years ago.
Hi
I read your question. Well, there are alot of conditions which can cause plaque like lesions on the penis.
The most common are psoriasis, syphillus and lichen planus. As well, chancroid, granuloma inguinale, lymphogranuloma venereum, herpes, peyroine's disease. Less common, but more significant, would be penile cancer

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/menshealth/facts/spotsonthepenis.htm

Basically, you need to see a physician and have these biopsied/cultures taken.

Best wishes

Press the green accept button if this was helpful
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would it be possible to send you pictures to better identify what this could be?

Thanks
I cannot see the pics on my computer. You still need to see your doctor- regardless of what the pics look like, you need a culture and perhaps a biopsy to confirm a diagnosis- there is a lot of overlap between the different causes (there is only so many ways an ulcer can 'look'), if you know what I mean.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well if you can't see pictures on your computer (which is suprising btw :)) that answers it. Basically I was looking for the first level of answer on the pictures which would be "yes this needs to be looked at" or "no this is prefectly normal", I think this might just be normal.

In any case, thanks for your time
I would still urge you to see a physician for confirmation, even if you think that they are normal

If you want to try to load pics, go ahead, but I have had issues with it before..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I send them to you?
That is exactly what I am talking about. I Don't know. Everyone who has tried to do this before has had problems...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, well it simply looks like this web site does not offer the option to attach files. I can send them to you via email directly, that'd be the easiest way
I am not allowed to give you my email.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. In this case, I have just created a temporary hotmail account and have sent the pictures to that email address. You can simply connect to hotmail.com and use the following account to connect and get to the email:

User:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Password: templogin

There is a single email in the inbox and it contains the attached pictures.
Hi
I can't access this- it is against the terms of the site to provide any personal information, including email. Your email has been blotted out.
I have to go offline now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is not a personal email. It is a generic temporary one containing no personal information of any kind. It's a standard hotmail address ending with live dot com following the "at" sign.

User: forjustanswer
Password: templogin

In any case, sorry you couldn't help me. Have a good day.
Expert:  Dr Jef Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

It easy to upload pictures.

Simply use the tree icon on the toolbar.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hmm I don't see any tree icon. Which toolbar are you refering to? I don't think we have the same view.
Hi

On the top right of the "box" in which you type you should see pale blue text "show toolbar"?

I will also contact admin and ask them to help you out.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm afraid there isn't in my view here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm still waiting to get assistance on how to upload pictures. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 5 years ago.

Are you using Internet Explorer? If not, open the question in Internet Explorer. If you do not see the formatting toolbar above your text box, on top left corner you will see 'Show Toolbar'- click this. Left to the YouTube icon you will see a green tree. Click this to upload your pics.

Here is how to insert a picture here:

1. First Step is to save the pic to your computer and then reduce the size of the pic by right clicking on the picture icon and selecting > open with> Microsoft picture manager> 'edit picture', then, > 'compress pictures',then > 'document' size,so that the picture size is less than 200 kb.
  2. Then save it onto the desktop.
  3. Click the green tree above the text box > Click Browse> Click Browse again> choose the pic>Click OK > Click Insert.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. I finally figured it out. The toolbar won't show up in Internet Explorer 8 (latest version) unless the page is viewed in compatibility mode.

Ok here are pictures of the situation. Look at the whitish plaques on the right and left side. I'll be happy to accept an answer that gives me an idea of what this is. I'm hoping that the pictures will provide a good enough view.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Thank you!

Hi

Good pics.

The most likely dignosis in my opinon is lichen planus.

You can read about this on the link below.

You still need to be examined by a urologist.

Dr Jef

http://dermnetnz.org/scaly/lichen-planus.html

Dr Jef Burk, DR
Experience: MBBS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks! I'm accepting the answer now. I'll book an appointment then. And just to be clear you're saying that I need to see a urologist specifically and not a dermatologist for this issue correct?
Hi

Thanks

Yes I would certainly see a urologist myself for this type of problem.

Dr Jef