Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, MBBS
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS (R)
16248889

red painful bump at corner of my mouth. not directly on the lips but on the boar

The last couple of days I have noticed a painful red bump at the boarder/corner of my mouth. I have tried popping it on two diff occasions and have failed. No puss or liquid has ever leaked. I would say that I have irritated it a bit by squeezing it. it is now inflamed and red and at the corner of my mouth. I would say I am sensitive at the corners of my mouth after shaving and I did recently. Its just large/irritated and I haven't had problems like this due to derm face wash recently. I would like to know what this sounds like. Thank you so much for your helpful consideration.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 5 years ago.
Customerbr />
what is your age,

are you sexually active,

do you have genital ulcers,

Any injury at the effected area,

Any associated fever or similar bumps on the skin

any previous infections or illness,

any tests done,

any treatment taken.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I wrote this question last nite and it is now sunday morning. I put acne medicine on the spot before going to sleep and I woke up w it still hurting. I saw that it came to a bit of a white head. I took a shower and then "popped" it after the shower. Some puss came out but not as much as I thought.now it is an inflamed and sensitive bump with a small opening in the middle. I put some alcohol on it.   I am 28 year old male in good shape. No injury would of caused this. I am sexual active. I do not have any genital ulcers. Only acne medicine for treatment. I have not shown it to any doctor. No fever or any other associated bumps on the skin.

Thanks for input

This seems like herpes infection or in other words cold sore,

this is transmitted by kissing and using and sharing the utensils with the effected person,

They generally clear up without treatment in seven to 10 days.

Topical symptomatic treatments such as topical lidocaine or benzyl alcohol (Zilactin) may help relieve symptoms.

During this infection, avoid kissing,

Sharing towels, razors, creams,

Clean your hands after touching the sore.

Hope answer was helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are no signs that it is something other than the dreaded cold sore. Such as folliculitus or a bad acne breakout?? Please tell me your thought process. Thanks
Customer

Yes it could be any of the skin problems like acne, folliculitis,

But most suitable diagnosis is cold sore as.

First it is at the corner of mouth,

Second it is most common in this age,

Third you are sexually active,

Fourth it is painful.

Fifth it is most common cause of bumps at corner of mouth.

Hope answer was helpful

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but since it came to a "white head" this morning I was leaning towards angry acne or folliculitus. I have done some research and I have found that cold sores usually leak liquid and turn yellow crust after they have been manipulated. I have not experienced either of these symtoms.

Thanks for input,

Talking with bookish picture there are few when you are working in the field.

It is right that herpes lesions produce initially fluid filled bumps and then they crust over the time.

But it occurs in cases in which you have not altered their course,

As you are having problem with acne so there are high chances that this lesion got infected.

As you have squeezed it so there are high chances that it has got infected, that is the reason that it gave out pus.

If you are still not satisfied then send me some more details about the bump i will try to clear it out for you.

Hope answer was helpful.
Dr S.A.Alam, MBBS
Experience: MBBS/FCPS (R)