Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Allergy specialist
Experience:  6 years of experience as a family physician, general practioner; MD -Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

red irregular rash on my shoulder and chest and now some spots &#

Customer Question

I had this red rash when I woke up one morning in Florida and took Benadryl and it went away in a couple days. We are now home for two weeks and this morning again I woke with the same red rash in the very same areas and is causing itching. I thought perhaps I got bit when in Florida so it is puzzeling me as to why the same rash is now appearing again here at home in Ohio. It looks like irregular red blotches and is now on my back in a few spots, The rash appears on my right shoulder and chest and back and not anywhere else on my body. Baby powder with corn starch seems to make it quit itching but I am wondering why I am getting it again in the same areas.

Customer/p>
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 5 years ago.

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

Hope this answer helped you in some way. If it did, please click the green ACCEPT button. You may ask follow-up questions.

Best regards

Dr Bhumika, Allergy specialist
Experience: 6 years of experience as a family physician, general practioner; MD -Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am still puzzeled why I get this for a few days then it goes away and comes back sometimes weeks later? Should I continue with the Benedryl? Some of the spots on my back seem raised a bit? I just have 3 or 4 on my back but my chest looks like red welts all over.

There might be some inciting factor for the rash to come every few days or maybe the effect of the medication wears off.

Try the above measures but if your symptoms persist it would be best to consult a skin specialist for a clinical examination.

Best regards