Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD 26 years Experience.

why am i breaking out with bumps and rashes all over my body

Customer Question

why am i breaking out with bumps and rashes all over my body and im itching
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for approaching justAnswer with your concern. Please provide the following info so that I can assist you better.

1. How long have you had this?
  2. When is the itching more?
  3. Which area of the body?
  4. Your age/sex/occupation?
  5. Do you have bumps in the genital area, beneath the breasts and in between the fingers, too?
  6. Have you noticed any exacerbating factors?
  7. Diabetic or on any medication?
  8. What have you tried so far and what were the results?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had this problem for a 1yr and it itches more at night different places on my body head,arms,legs,ankles,back,chest iam 38yrs old i have no bumps between my fingers,breast,or genital area it just starts off red itchy and when i scratch and little bumps and welps appear no im not a diabetic ive been to doctor and he prescribed me hydrocortizone 1 tablet twice a day and ive tried stop eating different foods,change washing detergents,soaps,lotions,perfumes,etc and still i itch

Thanks for the input.

What you have is Urticaria.

Urticaria is an allergic response of the skin to a variety of allergens in food and environment. It could also be due to some infection in the body. It is more of a detective work to find out the exact cause of urticaria and blood analysis rarely helps.

The treatment is with short and long acting antihistamines, steroids and treatment or avoidance of the precipitating cause.

Here is what to do:

1. Make a list of things that you have done, eaten or come in contact with before you got the hives. In your case, I would also suggest looking around in your bedroom for the causes, like bed bugs, woolen blanket, dust, dust mites, other insects, night dresses etc.
2. Try avoiding the suspected agents, as far as possible.
3. When you get the attacks, take a short acting antihistamine like Benadryl 1 at night and/or Cetrizine 10 mg 1 in the morning.
4. These antihistamines can cause sedation, hence special care should be taken while driving.
5. If this first line of treatment does not help, you will have to see a dermatologist to have primary investigations to rule out other causes.

To learn more about the investigations and management options, see this link:

Skin Care Tips From Dermatologist: Urticaria.

If you need further clarification, please ask. __________________________________

My answer is for your personal information only. It should not be used as a substitute to visiting your doctor. No treatment should be tried without first consulting a doctor. If you are satisfied, please click ACCEPT and take time to leave a positive FEEDBACK. Thank you.