Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD 26 years Experience.
11532963

I've small itchy bumps on my body everywhere

Customer Question

I have random, small itchy bumps on my skin, everywhere including hands, arms, legs, thighs, stomach and butt. It is unresponsive to lotions and creams. and is not from fleas. Any idea what this could be from?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 7 years ago.

Please provide the following info so that I can assist you better.

1. When is the itching more?
2.Which area of the body?
3.Your age/sex/occupation?
4. Are there itchy bumps in between the fingers, on the penis and scrotum, if you are a male or beneath the breasts if you are a female?
5. Have you noticed any exacerbating factors?
6. Diabetic or on any medication?
7. What have you tried so far and what were the results? (names)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for helping. I itch in the morning when I wake up, during the day and also at night when at home and also in bed when trying to sleep. The itching started on my thighs and hips, then started on my butt and midsection, moved on to my legs and arms and then on my neck and hands. I'm a 20 year old, waitress attending school full time and live off campus with a high school friend, who also suffers from the itchiness. It is between my fingers but not under my breasts, although it is under my armpits. I am not diabetic or on any meds. So far we've tried switching laundry soaps, flea bombing the house, washing bedding repeatedly, lotions and creams, and skin soothing baths... nothings worked.

From your description and history, you are suffering from Scabies, caused by the itch mite Sarcoptes scabei. This can be transferred by intimate contact.

The itching will be more during night, with typical areas of involvement. More than one family member will be affected usually. But the itching may start after 2-4 weeks of infestation.

Treatment is with Premethrin 5% cream, usually applied overnight and washed in the morning and repeated weekly once for 2-3 weeks.

Clothes, bedsheets etc has to be cleaned in hot water to avoid re-infestation. Other family members should also be treated. Antihistamines like Tab Benadryl 1 at night will help relieve itching. Also even after successful treatment and disappearance of

Here are a few tips on managing scabies.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I've had a healthcare professional tell me it did not look like scabies because it was scattered so much with no traces in a line. Could it possibly be anything else or are you certain it is scabies?

Scabies burrows are not clearly visible to naked eyes and the bumps are always scattered to start with. Evidently the healthcare professional needs some more education :-)

Your description points towards scabies 90%. The 10% is because I have not see you!