Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD 26 years Experience.
11532963

i have developed a red raised rash on my lower legs up to 6

i have developed a red raised rash on my lower legs up to 6 inches from my ankles. the itching becomes so severe i used warm water with real oatmeal to decrease the itching, i have developed arthritis in all my bones in feet with associated deformity. i cannot walk far. this occcurred secondary to a 10 hour anterior posterior back surgery.the back surgery was in2000. the feet deformities have progressed over the last 9 years. i have numbness that has increase over the years. have been told by pain doctor that it is sensory nerve related. the rash reminds me somewhat of ecezma. it is raised and red. i also have developed some sores that are difficult to heal. will make an appointment with a dermatologist this week . i have tried over the counter cortisone creme with zero relief. i used tarbonis as a child for ecezema but i can't find it any more. my feet also become swollen because i sit a lot. don't walk much due to pain ect.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 5 years ago.

Could you post a picture of the rash and your feet? That would be helpful in making a definite diagnosis. Also pls give the following info:

1. Are you diabetic?
  2. Are the rashes present on both legs?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i am not a diabetic. i do not have the ability to send a picture. the best definition i can give, and considering i am a nurse you would think i could define something------ smalll individual red spots merging into larger red raised areas. this all started last summer with some sore that would not heal. i went to a would clinic but was unable to tolerate these wraps they put on my legs. it would start itching so severely. but the red rash has appeared in the last 4-6 weeks. it itchy periodicallly so intensely.. it is on both legs and cuts off at the same spot about 6 inches above the ankle. about the height a sock would go.. however the left leg is worst than the right leg.

Thanks for the input.

Seems like you have Stasis Dermatitis, formed by the pooling of the impure blood around the ankle. The area above the ankle has the least blood supply in the body and hence is more irritable and prone for damage. Chronic stasis of the venous bloodseeping underneath the skin produces eczematous changes in this area.

The lack of pumping action of the calf muscles due to prolonged inactivity is a contributing factor.

If the rash is oozing, you can apply a moderate steroid plus antibiotic cream for 3-5 days under antibiotic cover. Also take an antihistamine like Cetrizine 1 at night. Do not apply the steroid cream for more duration, just to dry up the rash. Once the redness is reduced, apply a thin coating of moisturizers like Stelatria(Mustela) twice daily.

Prevention involves using Cotton elastic bandages starting from the base of the toes up with gradually diminishing pressure. Still you may get recurrences and may also require short courses of oral steroids to control the acute flare ups.

Also while you sit, keep the legs raised up fow a few minutes every hour and also flex your ankles intermitently to pump up the pooled venous blood.

Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS; MD 26 years Experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dear doctor
my husband is a retired physician. could you please give me the name of the medication you would order for the creme etc. i could then have him order for me. thank you so much for this informative, helpful reply.

You can get the following:

1. Betnovate cream
  2. Fucidin Cream Mix both together and apply twice daily, as the rash heals and oozing is reduced, stop Fucidin, then when the rash has completely calmed down and normal skin starts reappearing, stop Betnovate also.
  3. Now start applying a moisturizing cream, like E45 or Stelatopia(Mustela) regularly.
  4. If you get itching or redness, you may apply the Betnovate and Fucidin cream once in a while.
  5. You may also take a course of Ampilox (Ampicillin 250 mg plus Cloxacillin 250 mg) 4 times daily for 5 days if the inflammation and oozing is severe.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist