Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD 26 years Experience.

Experience extreme itching of the stomach from rib cage to

Experience extreme itching of the stomach from rib cage to rib cage and to lower extremities of the scrotum. Please give me some information on this subject and the possible correction of these itches?

Thanks for approaching justAnswer with your concern. Please provide the following info so that I can assist you better.

1. How long have you had this problem?
  2. Your age,occupation?
  3. Any skin rashes, bumps etc?
  4. When is the itching more?
  5. Are there any bumps on the penis and scrotum?
  6. Anybody in the house affected too?
  7. Any history of contact with plants, chemicals, new cosmetics, new synthetic dress etc?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This problem has persisted over two years. I am male, age 68, and retired from the US Army and US Government. No skin rash or bumps visible with the naked eye; however, smal bumps are there but have no infection nor redness whatsoever. The itching is more persistent in the morning or late evening - but sometimes the heated itching will persist during the day. No bumps are present on the penis or scrotum ans no one else in the family has been affected. No history of pplants, chemicals, new cosmetics, or synthetic dress. Medicine currently prescribed over the past five years is Glucotrol, plavix, aspirin, glucophage, lisinopril/ACTZ, and atenelol on a daily basis. Hope this gives you the info you requested.

Thanks for the input. Itching without skin rashes is a very difficult problem to uncover. In The causes may be divided into Exogenous or endogenous.

Exogenous causes are mainly contact dermatitis to a number of factors like cosmetics, detergents, dress, dust, chemicals, plants ; mites or fungal infections etc.

Endogenous causes: include skin diseases like urticaria, dry skin, or aquagenic pruritus; metabolic diseases like diabetes, endocrinal disturbances like hypo or hyperthyroidism; infections, Crohn's disease, renal failure, liver failure; even blood disorders like lymphomas, leukemias, polycythemia vera, multiple myeloma etc. Drug reaction is another important cause to be considered in your case.

This is not to frighten you. Just to show the need for further investigations. IIn your case it may just be skin dryness caused by diabetes mellitus or a combination of diabetes and due to some adverse effects of the medications that you have been taking. Try to remember whether the itching began after you started some new medication. Is your diabetes under control?

Here is what to do:

• Take a long acting antihistamine like cetrizine 10 mg at night for a period of two weeks.
  • Have your diabetes under strict control.
  • Apply a moisturizing lotion like Nutraplus lotion or Eucerin body lotion immediately after bath.
  • Use only cotton clothes
  • Avoid hot spicy food and alcohol.

If the itching does not get relieved after about one month, you should see a physician to have a general physical and laboratory check up to rule out other internal causes.

If you need further clarification, please ask. __________________________________

My answer is for your personal information only. It should not be used as a substitute to visiting your doctor. No treatment should be tried without first consulting a doctor.