I have itchy bumps on my penis

I have recently developed new bumps on my penis and an itchy feeling all over my body. What could it be?

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  meininger replied 8 years ago.

Can you tell me how long the bumps have been there? How large are they? Are they red, or flesh colored? How long has the itching been going on? Do you have a rash anywhere else on your body?

Let me know the answers to these, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Eric's Post: they have been there one day ,about the size of pin heads but are not single like in a row like poison ivy kinda, are a mix of skin color and reddish maybe because they are on the ring around the head of the penis, no more rashes but an itchy feeling in small areas all over the body. oh and i thought it was bacterial or infecton so i have taken a couple of cipro.
Expert:  meininger replied 8 years ago.

So they are small, red bumps, primarily on the corona around the head of the penis. None really on the actual head (glans) of the penis, and none on the shaft, correct?

If you look closely at them (if you can contort yourself that much, or get a friend to help), do they have a small dimple in the center? Do the bumps hurt or itch themselves, or just elsewhere?

The other areas of your body that itch have nothing you can see? Just itching?

Do the spots on your penis look anything like either of these?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes a small red line of continuos bumps,almost like the head of the corona is a little swollen a little shinier than the rest. don't look like any of the pictures no dimples no itch, but what got my atttention to them was when it was erect there was pain on that side of the corona. and where i feel the itch on my body there are no signs of anything, oh and nothing else on the penis unusual
Expert:  meininger replied 8 years ago.

It does not sound like herpes - these are usually painful and more red.
One of the pictures had an HPV lesion on them - although genital warts can look like a lot of different things, it does not sound like warts.

I would recommend watching to see if it spreads -- and being sure to use condoms with any partner until it has cleared up. Did you use an oil based lubricant by chance - either to masturbate or when you had sex with a partner? Sometimes that will cause a condition when the small oil gland ducts are blocked. If they are mildly swollen, that can cause pain when the erectile tissue stretches them out.

I'm not sure what to make of the itching. It's possible it is a precursor to some type of rash that may break out, but it is also possible that it is something you are causing because you are worried.

I hope this is helpful. Write back to me if you have further questions, or if your symptoms change in the next day or so.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Eric's Post: i didn't use any oils or lubricants,and i also think the other itching is mental thing. i will watch it carefully and get back to you thank you
Expert:  meininger replied 8 years ago.

You're welcome. Let me know if it gets worse, or you have any other questions.