Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I am 61 and have many medical problems. Including high blood

Customer Question

I am 61 and have many medical problems. Including high blood pressure, monoclonal gammapathy, Arterial blockage, and Thyroid nodules. All my teeth are chipping off and the back molar lost a piece just like an iceburg splitting and in 3 months it was all gone to the gums. When I try to bite something it feels like my font lower teeth are going to break.They all have pieces broke off them. This has all happened within a year and a half. What pieces I have left must be removed however I am on blood thinners and aspirin and am afraid because most of whats left will have to be removed surgically. Any thoughts or advice? Thank you.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: 1 1/2 years. Just happened so fast.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the dentist should know?
Customer: No, just the blood disorder and blood thinners.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 8 days ago.

We frequently extract teeth even though patients are on blood thinners. Many times,especially if stents were just placed or there is a valve problem,it is riskier to get off of the blood thinners than to stay on them. It will just take a little longer for you to clot. Let your dentist know about the blood thinners and he will probably opt to suture the areas well to help close the site more tightly.Some cardiologists,depending on the severity of the disorder would like to be called to check on whether you need to stop the blood thinners or not. Have your dentist call your cardiologist to be sure but again we can still do the extractions while you are on blood thinners.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 7 days ago.

Is there any other information that I can get for you?