Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I had an x-ray on my teeth and on tooth 20 it showed a dark

Hello. I had an x-ray on my teeth and on tooth 20 it showed a dark shadow on the root and no nerve was seen. My dentist said I need a root canal. Now my question is how does getting a root canal not damage any other nerves where I would end up with numbness in my chin,lips,tounge ect forever ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had a molar pulled 3 years ago and was numb for a month. Did my dentist prob Nick a nerve ? Is that common

Hi Manny,

The only way you could get numbness on your chin is if the nerve was traumatized during an anesthetic injection and that would be transient and would return to normal on its own. The other way you can get numbness on your chin is from an abscess that is applying pressure to the nerves in the area and that can occur if you are very swollen. Once the swelling and pressure have been released the numbness is gone. Numbness can occur if a surgical procedure done on the lower jaw was to injure a main nerve then you could have paresthesia (numbness) for an extended period of time. But most incidents do recover but it can take months to do so. If you are not having a surgical procedure then the risk is almost non existent.

The numbness you are asking about 3 years ago came about from trauma during the removal or during the anesthesia phase. This is common on lower jaw injections and extractions. Hope this helps. If you need more information please ask. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much. Yes I have unfortunately had many cavities and have never had an issue before. I also have no pain in this tooth. It's number 20 and they said I should be done in an hour and a half and it's one visit. OK silly question, so the dark circle at the bottom of my tooth is related to getting a root canal not CANCER ?? So I shouldn't worry to much about this root canal and the injection ?

Absolutely NOT cancer! A black area at the root end of a tooth is an infection caused by a dead or dying nerve in a tooth. The products of death go out into the bone and start eating the bone which creates the black appearance on an an Xray. Black on an Xray is the absence of bone. Bone shows up grey on an Xray. There really is no need to worry about this procedure and doing a bicuspid is normally very easy to handle. The injection is normally not an issue more than 97% of the time so there is really no need to worry.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Please remember to rate our conversation so that I can get credit for responding. Thanks and have a great evening! :)